Chapter 26

I stand nervously at the end of the ship, my fingers tapping anxiously against the railing. I've changed into my princess attire knowing that as soon as we arrive I'll have to play princess again. Normally, I'd be annoyed about having to wear it all again, but this time I'm not. I'm scared I'm going to return home to bad news even though everyone's been reassuring me. But how are they to know nothing has happened? They're assuming things are okay because they want them to be, but life doesn't give you what you want. I've learnt that, and I thought they had to.

I hear footsteps approach me from behind and so I heatbend, straight away sensing Tenzin's heat signature. I don't turn to face him, rather I allow him to join my side and over look the ocean as we approach Capital Island. I can feel Tenzin's eyes on me as a silence falls upon us, it's a calming silence, one that always comes with Tenzin's presence. It's one that puts me at ease instantly.

"I understand you're worried about what you're returning to, but I feel it's important not to plague your mind with worry before you know the facts." Tenzin says after a moment of tranquility. I let out a small sigh and look down to the water as it hits the side of the ship.

"I know, but I can't help myself. I can't think of a single reason why my mother would be summoning us other than something bad." I say.

"There are many great things to come out of the Fire Nation, all of which deserve to be celebrated by all nations. There's no reason to believe that this isn't simply a celebration." Tenzin says placing a hand on my shoulder. I look up at him and he smiles, a kind and gentle smile which matches his persona.

"But we've never celebrated them before." I say and he gives me a soft look.

"A lot of things haven't been done before, but you and your family have a habit of doing unheard of things for the greater good." He says and I let out a small laugh.

"So, a party is for the greater good?" I ask cocking my head to the side slightly. Tenzin laughs.

"Well, it's given me a holiday away from the kids." He jokes before looking back towards Capital Island. I keep my eyes on him for a moment before returning my gaze to my home. I can't help but feel strange coming back with everyone, and I think it's because of that strange feeling that I'm at such unease.

We reach the docks of Capital Island and I take a deep breath before heading to the ramp with Tenzin. I wait at the top of the ramp as everyone else files off and as soon as Bolin makes his way to me with Mako close behind him I take a step forward to him, blocking the path off the ship. Bolin raises an eyebrow at me and frowns slightly.

"Is everything okay, Ula?" He asks. I purse my lips as I look at him attempting to figure out what to say.

"Umm, I should probably warn you about something before we enter the city." I say watching him closely. He looks at me for a moment before sharing a quick glance with his brother.

"Okay, what is it?" Bo asks hesitantly.

"Well, you understand that I am princess of the Fire Nation, yes?" I begin unsure about how to even begin this conversation. Bo lets out a laugh and I notice Mako smile.

"Funnily enough, I do understand that," Bo says as he takes my hand, "now come on before Tenzin and Wu get too far without us." He says guiding me off the ship. I let him tug me down the ramp towards the others as we walk up the large docks towards the city gates.

"Yes, but, Bo, are you sure you know what that entails?" I question knowing what is going to meet us on the other side of the gates.

"I think you're forgetting that I was here a couple of years ago." He says, shooting me a smile. We reach the guards standing outside the gates and I let go of Bolin's hand so that I can make my way to the front of the group. The eight guards bow their heads as I stand before them and instantly I return the gesture.