Chapter 36

My heart hammers against my chest sending my blood pumping around my body so fast I think that I'm about to faint. But what would fainting achieve? Nothing. It would waste time, and I've lost that. People's lives are at stake and so I need to pull myself together and figure out a plan. I march out of the ship's dining room and head straight towards the bridge. I'm worried that by remaining on this ship I'm going to endanger captain Shyra and her crew. I can't have anyone dying, not again.

"Ulazu, slow down." Bolin cries from behind me as I turn each corner as quickly as my trembling legs can take me. "Where are you going?" He asks. I slow slightly so that he can join my side and I turn to him, knowing that there's no need to ignore him.

"I need to get off this boat. I can't risk their lives, just like how I can't risk any of yours." I say and I watch Bolin's eyebrows furrow causing me to turn away so that I can't see his frown.

"What is that supposed to mean?" He asks. I don't say anything, instead I knock on the door to the bridge and open it. Captain Shyra turns to the door, her lips pulled tight into a straight line and I know instantly that there's something wrong.

"Princess Ulazu, I heard the transmission," she says and I feel my jaw clench. For some reason I assumed that Izuk's message to me was only spoken to me. But now it's clear that his threat has been heard by the whole nation which is the last thing I wanted. I wanted to deal with the situation quietly and without creating a nationwide panic, but luxuries are usually taken from me, it's something I should be used to by now.

"Good," I say taking a couple of steps into the bridge, "then that means I won't have to give you a reasoning when I ask you to drop me off and then return to capital island." I ask and she frowns slightly, her eyes flickering over to the others briefly before turning to me.

"You want me to drop all of you off?" She questions and I shake my head. I go to respond but Korra beats me to it.

"Yes, all of us." She says and I turn to her with a scowl.

"No, just me. I'm not risking your lives." I say sternly.

"Ulazu, Izuk is disrupting the peace, and as the Avatar it's my job to put a stop to him. You can't tell me to leave your side." She says, a hint of anger in her voice.

"But-" I start to argue, but I get stopped. 

"I'm not changing my mind." She says stubbornly and I groan with frustration.

"Fine!" I say louder than I intended. I take a breath to calm myself before returning my attention to Captain Shyra. "Have you received anymore information on Izuk's location?" I ask her and she nods. 

"Yes, I have made contact with the warden of Boiling Rock. I was going to inform you. Your friend Churo told him that him and his followers are on Roku Island." She informs me. My eyes widen and I move towards her to see the map. We're close to Roku Island. So close. 

"He's not my friend," I huff as I look down to the map. "There's a small unoccupied island next to Roku Island. You can drop me off at the far side and get out again without being seen." I say looking up from the map to the captain.

"Us. Drop us." Mako says sternly and I roll my eyes. 

"Princess, I don't know about this." Captain Shyra says and I sigh.

"Please, I need to ensure your lives are not at risk, and I need you to be with my mother and grandfather just in case Izuk threatens them personally." I say turning to Leiko who stands awkwardly by the door watching everything that's going on. "Leiko, please can you go with them and make sure no one uses heatbending against them?" I beg her. She nods and I feel a small weight lift from my shoulders.