Chapter 41

A couple of hours have passed since we stopped Izuk. My grandfather had ordered for him and his followers to be locked away at Boiling Rock and Korra had removed the bending from the rest of the terrorists. After I had fainted, Huo brought us back to the palace so that the citizens couldn't see me, and my mother had spoken to the nation to announce the defeat of Izuk. It is a victory, I know that, yet sitting here on my bed I don't feel victorious. I woke up from fainting and everything that happened hit me and I realise what I shouted. I screamed that I tried to end my life and I know the nation heard. My most disgraceful moment, I blurted it out in anger and I don't know what to do. Bolin was the only one who was supposed to know that and now everyone does. 

I sit on the edge of my bed staring at the floor with my fingers in my mouth, chewing them absentmindedly as I work things over in my head. I haven't had to face anyone yet and I'm scared to. What do I say now?

A soft knock sounds on my door and I look up to see my mother walking into my room, my grandfather walking in behind her, shutting the door before sitting down in the chair near my bed. My mother smiles gently at me as she sits next to me on the bed. She slowly reaches for the hand I'm chewing on and pulls it out of my mouth, holding it tightly against her lap. I don't say anything, and for a moment, neither do they, we just sit together, my mother's hand gently stroking the back of mine. 

"Ulazu, how are you feeling?" My mother asks.

"Fine, I was just exhausted from the heatbending," I reply with a shrug. 

"It was impressive, I must say. I've never seen bending like that before," Grandpa Zuko. I nod my head knowing he's referring to the fire that was suspended over the city. 

"I don't think I was the one who did that, I'm pretty sure it was Huo," I say and my mother squeezes my hand. 

"It was stunning, Ulazu. The way you worked side by side with a dragon was truly magical. And he listens to you, follows direction. It's remarkable," my mother gushes. 

"I guess," I shrug again unsure about what to say. 

"She's right," my grandfather says. "Dragons, though temperamental, are loyal to those they deem worthy. You must have proved yourself to him."

"How did you meet?" My mother asks. 

"Izuk attempted to kill me on what turned out to be an island belonging to the Sun Warriors. Ori helped us and then allowed us to ask the dragons to help teach us heatbending. Huo taught me how to absorb heat and control the temperature of the air." I explain. My grandfather smiles. 

"I'm glad Ori helped you," he says. 

"Yes, I should also inform you that Ori has asked that the Sun Warriors return to the Fire Nation when I am declared Fire Lord," I say and my mother's hand stops moving against mine. 

"The Sun Warriors are going to be returning to the Fire Nation?" She gasps. I look up to her and nod at her shocked expression. 

"Yes," I say again and my grandfather lets out a laugh. 

"After decades of their independence, they now believe it to be safe to bring the dragons back to the nation," Grandpa Zuko says with a smile. "You are truly remarkable, Ulazu." I look to my grandfather who is smiling widely as he leans back in his chair, but I simply nod, unsure about what to say. I don't feel remarkable, I never have. 

"Ulazu, can I ask you a question," mother says after a moment of uncomfortable silence. Maybe it isn't uncomfortable, but it is to me. 

"Of course," I reply. 

"What you said about Bolin stopping you from, umm," my mother begins and I look away. "Is it true?" She asks. I try to take my hand from my mother's but her grip seems to tighten to ensure she holds me. My heart picks up slightly from nerves and I feel tears well up in my eyes.