Chapter 12

"We have to take out Kuvira while we have the chance. Or at least destroy the cannon." Bolin says as we return to Juicy. I watch him jump down from the boulder he was standing on and he looks at each of us in turn. "If she takes that to Republic City, it could obliterate everything." He carries on. I lower my bandana and take in everyone else's expression and I can see that they're not on board with Bolin's idea of getting rid of the weapon. I clench my jaw slightly as I fold my arms over my chest. I don't want to agree with Bolin, but I do. We need to get rid of her weapon and I need to figure out how to do that without anyone realising that I'm involved.

"I didn't come to fight with Kuvira or destroy a cannon. I'm here to save my family. It will take everything we have just to get out alive." Toph says.

"Hmm. Well, Kuvira wants every single one of her soldiers to see the weapon test tomorrow, so the factory will be mostly empty then." Bolin says.

"That's the best time we're going to have to get Su out without being seen." I say giving Bolin a nod. Bo smiles to me before looking back at the others. Lin lets out a sigh but nods anyway.

"Okay, we might as well set up camp here." Lin says. I walk over to Juicy and grab a couple of the bags to set up the camp. I feel a presence by my side and I turn to see Chief Beifong reaching for the last bags. She gives me a small look which I return awkwardly. Her eyes stay on me and I remain under her gaze uncomfortably before nodding to her and walking back to the others.

"Ulazu, wait a minute." Lin says stopping me from joining them. I slowly turn around to face her and I give her a small, awkward smile.

"Yes, Chief Beifong?" I ask. She looks at me for a moment in silence and I can feel the awkwardness in the air grow. Why is it so awkward?

"Umm, I just want to say thank you for being here." Lin says after a moment.

"It's fine." I say with a shrug as I turn away from her again.

"No, it's-" Lin starts, but she stops as she sighs. I look back to her and I feel my brow rise up at her.

"Lin, what's wrong?" I ask. She looks at me and runs her tongue over her lower lip before letting out another sigh. I don't think I've ever seen her act so nervous before, she's always so confident and sure of herself. She looks past me towards the others before moving her head towards the other side of Juicy, telling me to follow her. My eyes narrow on her suspiciously, but I follow her away from the others.

She purses her lips as she looks back at me as if she is trying to figure out how to say what she needs to say. I'm confused about everything going on between us at the moment, but I'm hoping that Lin can explain what the hell is going on with her.

"So, I umm, overheard Mako and Wu's conversation the other day." She starts and I look at her, expecting her to carry on, but she pauses.

"Okay?" I say slowly.

"I heard that you were thinking about proposing." She suddenly blurts. My eyes widen as I stare at her. My body stills momentarily before I look over my shoulder to make sure that Bolin isn't near. That last thing I want is for him to overhear this conversation.

"So what if I was?" I shrug. "If you overheard them talking about it then you know I'm not going through with it." I look at her still utterly confused about why she would even bring this up.

"I know I'm not really the best person to advice you, and I know that you didn't ask for my advice. But I think not asking him is a mistake." Lin says almost hesitantly. I stare at her with wide eyes, shocked that she would even want to put her two cents in on a topic like this.