Chapter 31

It's been a couple of days since the announcement and I haven't left the palace grounds for even a second. I know as soon as I leave I will be bombarded by journalists and reporters and I'm not ready for that. I know I'll have to face them eventually, but I can't just yet. If I go out there now I'll panic, or worse I'll show my nation that their future Fire Lord is weak.

I slowly climb out of my bed and sigh as I look to the already open window. Bolin had woken earlier and taken Pabu outside so he can run around for a bit. I would have gone with him but I really haven't got the energy to fake a smile for every guard I pass. Being told you are about to become Fire Lord should be the greatest honour and I know everyone in the nation sees it like that, but I just can't. Bolin's grandmother, Yin, had spoken to me through the years and I was starting to see the good of being Fire Lord, but right now I'm really struggling to see it. Maybe I need to speak with her again. 

I let out a soft sigh as I rub my hands over my face. I need to stop this. Iroh was right when he said this was always going to happen. I need to get over myself. The door opens and I turn to see Bo walk in with a small pouted frown. My down mood immediately lifts and I stifle a laugh. He stands in the doorway covered in mud with Pabu looking very happy on his shoulder. 

"Don't laugh." He huffs as he takes a step into the room. I walk towards him and take Pabu in my arms. The last thing I want is for him to run around and get mud everywhere. 

"I'm not laughing," I say, my amused smile still on my face, "what happened?"

"He was chasing a bug and I thought he was about to run out of the gardens, so I ran after him. But then I tripped and I feel down this small grassy hill and into a butt load of mud. And then what made it worse is that he then ran down after me and jumped in the mud." Bolin explains with a huff. A small laugh slips through my lips as I look at the Fire Ferret in my hands. 

"Did you catch a bug?" I ask, my voice rising slightly as I smile to the animal. He squeaks in response and I let out another giggle before returning my attention onto my fiance. "You could be a lot worse." I say hoping to raise his spirits. 

"Ula, I have mud in places I haven't even let you touch." He says and I laugh loudly, unable to hold it back any more. He frowns even more and so I take a step towards him to close the distance. I step up onto my tiptoes and place a kiss against his lips being careful to not get mud on myself. 

"Why don't you have a shower whilst I clean Pabu?" I suggest. He sighs and nods as he walks further into the room so that he can close the door behind him. 

"Yeah, thank you." He says giving me a smile. He moves towards me again and brings his lips to mine. I inhale as our lips move in sync and my heart warms and beats slightly faster as I feel the love he's sending to me. He puts his hand on my waist to bring me closer to him, but immediately I am moving out of his grasp and tut at him. 

"Ah, no you don't. I don't want you covering me in mud, and I don't think Pabu here wants a front seat to our make-out." I say smiling up to him. He rolls his eyes playfully but lets me go so we can both walk to the bathroom. 

"You know, I don't think he would mind watching us make-out." Bolin says wiggling his eyebrows. I am about to respond but instead Pabu squeaks loudly to disagree with him.

"I don't think he agrees with you." I laugh. We both walk into the en suite and I put Pabu in sink as Bolin makes his way to the shower. I watch him through the corner of my eye and I frown when he drops his clothes on the floor before hopping in. "Bolin," I whine as I leave Pabu and pick up Bolin's muddy clothes. 

"What's wrong?" He asks peaking his head around the shower curtain. I huff at him as I hold his clothes up. 

"Don't put your clothes on the floor, you'll get mud everywhere." I say as I put the clothes in the laundry basket.