Chapter 22

I run down the street with the family close behind me and Shen floating beside us on the cold fire I'm bending below his body. He yells out in anger as we all rush away from their home, but I ignore his hostile comments and continue carrying him. I don't care to get offended, I just care about getting them all out safely. I guide them around a corner making sure not to use the alleyways. I know that not using them is going to leave us out in the open, but I can't risk us getting caught in between the buildings if the spirit beam goes off. 

We take another turn and immediately I stop running as I look up to see the mecha-giant on the road on the other side of the buildings ahead of us. Shen shuts up as his eyes lift to it and I notice his jaw drop. I watch the weapon move away from us slightly, but it soon stops completely. My breath hitches in my throat momentarily as I start to think that it's going to look at us, but my thoughts soon stop as I see purple light start to appear from the body of the mech-giant. My eyes widen in panic as I begin to think it's going to shoot towards us, but my jaw drops as we watch the mecha-giant blow up. 

"Woah." The youngest boy gasps as a mushroom cloud of dust lifts up into the air. I have to say, I'm as stuck in awe as he is, I have never seen an explosion so big before and although I know how dangerous it must be up close, from this distance it seems almost beautiful. Almost. 

"So that was the weapon you were taking us away from?" The woman asks. I drop the flames carrying her husband causing him to fall to the ground and I nod. 

"Yes, but it looks like Avatar Korra saved us all." I say, a proud smile tugging at my lips. I just pray to the spirits that Bolin was nowhere near that explosion. 

"Great, so you forced us out of our home for nothing?" Shen scoffs as he stands up again. My frown instantly leaves me as I turn to glare at him. 

"It was not for nothing, did you not see the destruction we passed? We don't even know if one of Kuvira's attacks didn't hit your home." I snap back unable to hide my frustrations towards this man. You'd think he'd be grateful that I've risked my life to save him and his family, but he just doesn't seem to let up. Not one bit. 

"You royals are all the same! All you do is force your views on others and abuse your power! You're not even Republic City's princess. Your the Princess of a nation full of killers. You and your kind should not be allowed anywhere near this city!" Shen screams in anger. I stare at him in rage. How dare he say that about my nation after everything my mother and grandfather have done, after all I had done to help people. This man is the most selfish person I have ever met. 

I suddenly stop arguing as I sense a large amount of heat barreling our way. I turn around and my eyes widen in terror as they see the spirit beam coming straight for us. Instantly I bend fire out of my hands creating a large wall of flames and in a matter of seconds the power of the spirit vines are slamming against it. I cry out as I plant my heels into the ground, desperately trying to bend the fire against it to protect to civilians. 

"Run!" I scream, the pain of my actions apparent in my voice. 

"What? We'll die!" Shen shouts back. The fire wall is forced back which causes my feet to slowly inch back from its force. 

"Get out of the fucking way!" I shout. The heat of my flames burns my skin from how intense the fire is. I think for a moment I'm going to have to force the family out of the way, but before I can even think about doing so, the fire wall caves in as the spirit beam shoots through. I move my hands in front of my body and bend as much fire as I possibly can in front of me to create a small shield. I scream out in agony from my exertion and I can feel the spirit beam either side of my body, encasing me in the centre of the beam. The light of it burns my corneas and I feel my throat tear slightly from how much I'm crying out from the torture.