Chapter 34

A heatbender.

How does this happen? How is this possible.

"Ulazu?" Bolin's voice says, but it sounds so distant. I sit in my chair with my head in my hands as I stare at the table. We had gathered around the radio to inform my mother and see if any of the terrorists already in Boiling Rock have given us any information. But I am completely frozen. A heatbender. There is another heatbender and whoever it is, they're trying to kill me.

"Ulazu?" Bo says again, but I struggle to focus on it. This heatbender can kill anyone in seconds. If any of my friends get in the way, if Bolin gets in the way, they could die and there would be no way for me to save them. And that petrifies me.

A hand is placed on my arm and I jump visibly. My eyes move to Bolin in panic and he sits down next to me slowly, his hand moving down into mine. He gives me a small smile as he forms small circles against the back of my hand to comfort me.

"Ula, are you okay?" He asks gently and I blink a couple of times completely confused by his question.

"No, I'm not okay. H-how can anyone be okay?" I question, my voice shaking slightly.

"Ulazu, this is not the time to panic, this is the time to come up with solutions," my mother's voice says through the radio in the centre of the table.

"I don't know any solutions, mother. There's a heatbender, how does, how does that happen?" I ask and I feel Bolin squeeze my hand.

"I got word from Boiling Rock, Churo has told the warden everything." Iroh says and my knee begins to bounce due to anxiety. "The heatbender is a man called Izuk. Churo said that after word spread of you heat bending in the south pole, he began to try to teach himself. And after four years, he made a break through." Iroh says causing my blood to run cold and my body to freeze.

"So, you're saying the only kind of heatbending he taught himself was the kind that kills?" I ask, dread consuming me.

"It seems so." My brother replies. Everyone falls silent and I look down at the ground. My lips part as I let in a shaky breath, desperately trying to fill my lungs and remain calm, but I'm really struggling. A long moment passes before the crackle of the radio sounds again.

"Ulazu, I want you back to the palace. This threat is a lot more serious than we originally thought." My mother says and I seem to panic at the idea even more.

"N-no, no, I can't. If there is a heatbender after me I'm not g-going to bring him straight to you. No!" I say quickly and I feel Bolin's hand tighten on mine.

"Ulazu-" I hear my grandfather's voice try to reason with me.

"No, I don't know how to stop him from using his heatbending against someone, and that petrifies me." I say, my eyes wide with panic, "Don't ask this of me."

"You're being stubborn," My mother starts but I cut her off.

"I don't care," I say, "I'm not, I can't come back." Panic floods into my voice as my mind is consumed by scary thoughts. I'm terrified that this heatbender might use my family or my friends to get to me.

"Fire Lord Izumi, Ulazu isn't alone. She's got us." Bolin says and my head snaps to him.

"N-no, you guys can't fight," I say in fear and Bo sighs.

"Ula-" he starts.

"No, he'll kill you," I cry loudly and Bolin lowers his head. He takes my other hand and pulls me to my feet.

"Come on, it's been a long day," he says gently as he slowly guides me out of the room.

"Please, Bolin, you can't, you can't," I beg, tears falling from my eyes. Bolin's features grow soft as he watches me grow hysterical. Our friends watch us as he removes me from the room and I can faintly hear them talking to my family on the other end of the radio, but I don't care. All I care about is keeping my friends safe.