38: A Connection

========================

Another day in the life of Azur Lane, where everyone is having a great piece of mind. Everyone's morale is pretty stable, commissions are getting done with a diverse cast of fleets, and the summer heat is making everyone go outside again and have a good time.

Everyone is having a good time. Especially one person. Who is glad the girls are having fun.

Edrich Caster.

"hmm..."

A silent sigh let out, as he laid his head on a much more comfortable position. His legs, long enough to reach the other end of his bed, As his gaze shot through the window, overseeing some girls playing volleyball in the sun. One thing is clear, he is bored.

And for the past few days, one specific thought that he can't get this feeling out of his gutter. The isolation in his office. Feelings of being...

...Shackled.

For what it felt like a chillad.

The one place he made his own, was more like feeling like a cell.

Especially in this last few days, paperwork has been minimal, mild headache at worst. So there was no reason for his secretary girls to come in and do the work, nor accompany him.

For the deafening silence of his office, his mind, is nothing but commotion. He felt his ability to talk was now replaced with a mind that won't shut up. From harmless and with no rhyme or reason, to questionable and umbriferous in its entirely.

And all he could do is sit there in his office, taking it all in stride. Self-sabotage.

At some point, as his eyes was about to close due to the amount of time he has been staring through his window, the door opened, Caster, who is barely holding it together due to his self-sabotage, finally got something else to check out. He shook his head.

"Commander..." It was Wales. And she wasn't here this time to bring paperwork for him to do. She was just there. The silence from earlier was back. As both of them don't know what to say outside of work. It was always 'business as usual' as the recovery time grew closer and closer to full, and Wales, seen as a caring woman, albeit in the veneer of a stern leader than demanded excellence, she came here... By her own volition.

Both of their minds were running about what should they say, how their words will make the other react, and this silence isn't helping the awkwardness of it all.

"...Do you have something to tell me, Wales? I'm willing to hear it." Caster spoke in way that made Wales's thoughts come to a halt. And was surprised by how Caster knew, or rather, guessed correctly on what she was thinking.

After a bit more silence, she cleared her throat.

"How could I be better... At expressing myself to you?"

Wales could have not been more embarrassed asking that type of question to him. Though it didn't show on her face nor body language. Everyone else she knew how to do it. Especially Hood, with her very bold approach, he rewarded her, and the many others whom he shared a moment with. Rewards that Wales, never got the privilege to experience.

And she was always in the background, looking over the girls who were not shy of him. And over time, she felt jealousy for the first time. In private, She tried to mimic Hood's bold approach, that did not suit her. And many others. To get what they got and what she lacked. Of course, wanting to be a good friend at the same time, kept all those feelings in a bottle. And fearing that her bottle might break by overfilling it, she wanted to get someone to talk to. And here she is. Staring at the one person who she wanted his attention to point to.