Chapter Thirty-One - "When Life Gives You Hope... And Then Crushes It"

"Dan POV"

The light shining in from the crack in the doorway is the first thing I open my eyes to. I reach over for Phil but he is not there so I reach to my other side for my phone to check the time. 10:30am; the earliest I've woken up in ages. The mattress beside me is cold so Phil must have woken a while ago, probably the result of jet lag.

I take a deep breath in before rubbing my eyes and sitting up. I clear my throat. "Phil!?" I yell out as I get up from the bed. I hear footsteps towards me before the door creaks open and Phil sticks his head in.

"Morning" he says, opening the door all the way. "How was your sleep?" He asks as I pull on my jeans. "Yeah" I pause to pull my shirt over my head, "it was good, what about you?" I ask, now following him down the hallway. "I've been up since 5am, stupid jet lag" I laugh at the serious tone Phil has. When we both walk into the lounge, I see the dining table is filled with papers, business cards, pens and markers sprawled out in an unordered fashion.

"What have you been up to Phil?" I ask as I walk over to the table. I pick up a notepad that has scribbles and worlds all over it, none of them making complete sentences. "No!" Phil yells as he snatches the notepad out of my hand. "You can't read that one, you'll hear me say it when we get married" he says, placing it down where it was before. I did catch one line of it though. It said "I promise to love you more and more every single day for as long as we may live" which makes my heart tingle. I can't wait to hear his.

~~~~~~~~~~

One-Hundred and Seventy Days Until Our New Beginning

It's been a few busy weeks now, all Phil's been doing is running around arranging things for the wedding. I did finally manage to get my vows written though, I hope he likes them. We've picked a date; 14th November. No particular reason, we just want to get it done already. Phil posted all the invitations, and almost everyone has already said they'd be "happy to attend". This is all coming together really quickly, I just can't wait for it to happen now. We're going ring shopping tomorrow to get the wedding bands. Phil wants to get them engraved with something but we can't decide what. Either, "it's real", just "Phan"; we don't know. I don't know. It's my birthday in two days! Less exciting but you know. Phil said he invited a few friends around but he wouldn't say who.

One-Hundred and Sixty-Eight Days to go

Another year older, another year wiser. Turns out Phil invited a few more friends than I expected. Nearly everyone from our close Internet group came and it was such a great time. He invited a few of our other friends too, which I hadn't seen in ages so that was really nice to catch up with them again. "So show us the ring" everyone would giggle when I walked around and joined in on their conversations. Overall, it was the best birthday ever. Thanks Phil!!

One-Hundred Days.

August. Phil got a phone call from Milly a week ago. It wasn't the one we were hoping for either. As we knew before, she'd already been having problems with the baby, but they'd gotten worst. Logan found out Milly was pregnant, it was going to happen though, there's no hiding it. He also figured out it belonged to Phil. He came banging at our door, and we let him in; we shouldn't have. Luckily Phil only has a bruised eye. Milly copped it the worst. The baby was killed in her stomach from the injuries that Logan caused. This isn't fair. I was going to be a father! Phil was so excited that it made him tear up when we'd speak about it. Now those are just sad tears. The world's an unfair place. Milly is staying with us, in the spare room. As much as I didn't like her, I couldn't let her stay with that jerk. Phil agreed. We're still excited for the wedding though. Only 100 days to go.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Can you pass me a sugar Dan?" Milly asks from across the table. I hand her a packet and she smiles in return. I never knew this cafe existed until Phil brought us here today. It's so small and chilled out, it's like nobody knows about it. That what I love about it, it can be our coffee shop. Although, Starbucks is pretty high on the list. This reminds me of a place a king or queen would go to get coffee; the chairs with burgundy frames and velvet cushions, the table made from the same wood. It's just so elegant.

I caught Milly eyeing off my ring again from her position across the table. I wish she'd stop that. Maybe letting her stay was a bad idea after all. Why did I insist again? I let out a sigh before bringing my hands down to relax in my lap under the table and out of her sight. Thank god she's leaving to go live with some friends in Brighton tonight.

Phil's upset about it all, I can still see the glassy tone to his usually soft blue eyes. The baby, Milly leaving, our wedding being really soon, everything. Even through everything, Phil still managed to have a great friendship with Milly and now that she's leaving, I'm sure it is hurting him a little.

As we get up from the table, we part ways with Milly; calling separate taxis. Phil still hasn't said a word for three days straight. He's just had the same expressionless face. The same glassy tone to his eyes. He hasn't slept either. It's starting to worry me. I hope he's okay.

"Phil's POV"

I'm sitting at the dining table with my art diary, drawing little sketches all over the page when Dan walks in.

"Hey" he says, I look up to acknowledge him before returning my attention to the paper. I know Dan's not as upset as I am but he is still sad.

"Whatcha drawing?" He says as he comes and sits down in the chair next to me. I shrug as I close the book and turn to lean on Dan's shoulder. I start crying and I soak his shoulder as he tells me over and over, "everything going to be okay Phil, I promise."

Author's Note;

Hey everyone! I have not updated this in ages and I'm so sorry it has just stopped for a couple of months but I think I have a pretty valid reason hahah.

I started year 11 this year and here in Australia, it's the first year of senior and the first year on the lead up to the HSC (which is equivalent to A Levels or GCSE or some other form of test you may have in the last years of schooling) and so I have been very busy studying and doing assignments and exams whilst working a job at the same time and so I haven't had a chance to update this until now. So I'm sorry if you were missing this but the chapters will not be as regular as they used to be, but I will still try to upload when I can to get this story done!

Thanks for reading and thanks for waiting around if you started reading this ages ago. I'm sorry for any inconvenience! Lots of love!