Chapter Fourteen - "Exiting My Comfort Zone, For Good"

"Dan's POV"

It was a really short 30 minute car ride so we were there in no time. We all sat in silence as we pulled into the driveway of my childhood home.

"We're here" Mum announces as she brings the car to a stop in front of the massive veranda, with carved wooden beams wrapped with a vine of pink flowers around each. It has matching stained wooden stairs and deck and two carved doors with stain glass windows in each. It's not fancy but it's home. Mum has always lived in this house since she was born, and has kept it pristine all of these years.

I gawk at the house for a little while, still sitting in the car, until Adrian opens my door and snaps me out of it.

"Yo, Dan, you can get out of the car at any moment you know" he laughs as he waves his hands in front of my eyes. I shush him in defeat whist laughing at myself. I undo my seatbelt and pull myself out of the car. Adrian hands me my suitcase and backpack and leads me up the stairs.

"I don't remember it like this" I say to Adrian as we approach the front door. He just shrugs at me. Mum puts the key in the lock and with a few little jiggles the house is unlocked.

"Welcome home Daniel" Mum says as she gestures me to go through the door first. Adrian follows and Mum behind him as she closes the door behind her. I am greeted by an old looking grand stair case that spirals up the room with elegance. Adrian smiles at me as I take in the familiar but old surroundings.

"You done staring yet?" He asks with a big smirk across his face, "it's not anything you haven't seen before" he adds.

I nod towards Adrian and smile, "Yeah, just remembering things" I said. Mum had a puzzled look on her face and shook it off as she walked into the kitchen to the left of where we were standing.

"Oh, could you show Dan up to his room for me please Adrian" she calls out to us. Adrian huffs but offers to pull my suitcase up the stairs to my room. I climb the stairs one at a time, slowly whilst running my hand up along the balustrade beside me. Adrian gestures for me to hurry as he is already at the top and so I pick up speed a little.

"Took you long enough" Adrian smirked.

"I didn't miss you at all" I sarcastically joke. We both laugh and Adrian hits me playfully on the shoulder.

"C'mon then, your room is up the hall here" he says as he walks in that direction.

On the way there, he points out the bathroom to me as well.

We approach a door at the end of the hallway that says Daniel in little block letters. A mothers touch of course. Adrian opens the door and lets me in first as he follows closely behind. I am met with a queen sized bed in the middle of the room, with the bottom facing me and the top pushed up against the wall. On either side of the bed is mahogany stained bedside tables that add a rustic but home-y feeling to the room. Along the wall to the right of me is a floor to ceiling bookcase and shelving unit that has various little objects placed in some, and others left blank. To the left of me, there is a wardrobe that kinda resembles the one from Narnia. There is also a desk that is stained mahogany, and upon it sits a Mac, a few notepads and some pens. Above the desk hangs a picture of Winnie the Pooh and Piglet sitting on a log, with the saying "Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart" written fancy above it. I have always loved that saying. This room is perfect.

"Welcome to your bedroom then, hope you enjoy you stay at the Adrianator Casino Hotel, tips will be £500 pounds in hand please" he says whilst gesturing for me to pay up.

"Haha very funny Adrian, thank you though, your service was great" I wink at him and we both laugh.

"Well, I shall leave you to it then, I've got to go and pick up Cassie from a friends place anyways, we are going to go see a movie in town tonight, want to come?" He asks me. I think about it for a minute before deciding no because all I'd be doing is third wheeling. I shake my head no at Adrian and wish him a good afternoon as he turns and exits my room.