Chapter Sixteen - "Make-ups, Break-ups, Friends and Enemies"

"Dan's POV"

I just can't stop thinking about his soft pink lips against mine as my fingers get tangled in his jet black hair. When I stare into his eyes, I'm staring right at my world, at my happy place. That smirk he does when I know what he's thinking just gives away everything. Every little detail of his personality, his looks, his everything, is perfect. Too perfect for me to have.

As Adrian is rubbing up and down my back and wiping my tears away with his sleeve, I just can't seem to get this man off of my mind. I thought I finally had control of my feelings. This experience proved to me that I thought wrong. I see from the corner of my eye Cassie and Chloe returning to our table, Chloe in the same mood as me.

"I'm so sorry Chloe" I manage to say through my childish sobbing. She looks me in the eyes and I stare at her tear stained cheeks. More tears start to trickle down her beautiful face and I can feel the same happening to me. Chloe reaches her hands out, places one on each cheek and begins wiping my tears away with her thumbs.

"Please don't cry Dan" Chloe says as she continues to wipe my tears away. I smile slightly at her before letting two more tears run down onto her thumbs.

"I knew right from the beginning, when I first started watching you all those years ago, that something was going on between you two," she smiles as she stares into my eyes; tears still slowly making their way down her cheeks. "And I'm glad to be the one to share that realisation with you Dan, as a friend, and as a viewer" Chloe plants a kiss on my wet lips that only lingers for a few seconds. I look up into her glistening soft green eyes and know that she means every word.

"Chloe... I-I wish it wasn't you that had to, I led you on, I'm so sorry" the tears stream down my face at a quicker pace and I feel so ashamed of everything that's happened tonight.

"You don't have to be sorry Dan, please" Chloe says as she holds my head up with her hand on my chin. She wipes under my eyes once more and pulls me up out of my chair and into a hug. I wrap my arms around her waist and hers cover my neck as she rests her head on my chest. I don't know what else to say. My body only knows how to produce more tears. I can't even describe my current emotion at the moment. I think it's a bit of everything. Chloe slowly rubs up and down my back a few times before pulling away from our embrace.

"I just I ca-" I try to say but Chloe puts her cold finger against my lips which makes them tingle slightly. She smiles.

"It's okay, I don't need an apology Dan, it was going to happen to someone and it's just lucky you picked someone who can take it and who understands" she reassures me. I nod at her and smile slightly, looking towards the ground.

"So is everything okay guys? Do we want to go home or..?" Adrian asks the both of us. I stare at Chloe and she makes the call.

"Well, I think because of everything that's happened, we all need a good night's sleep to relieve ourselves of our burdens and be nice and fresh in the morning" Chloe states as she looks back at me. Cassie nods and so do I so we all decide on leaving the nightclub and returning to Mum's house.

Chloe chooses to sleep in the spare bedroom just down the hall from my own and Cassie in with Adrian. That leaves me and my thoughts alone. Probably not the greatest combination. I sit at the foot of my bed and just stare at the back of my door, which isn't very interesting. I feel my phone buzz in my pocket so I pull it out to see what it is.

*You asleep? Chloe x*

So I text back,

*No, I can't*

It takes a minute-which feels like forever-for her to reply but she finally sends back,

*Well we're both pretty lonely... ;)*