Mother

As the time passed and came to the time where Harold had arranged for them to meet with Lagertha on neutral ground. Iona stayed close to Hvitserk as they approached, Ivar went ahead, joy on his face at seeing the woman who killed his mother. Iona walked alongside Hvitserk as everyone met in the centre. As her eyes met her mother's, she felt an urge to run over and slash them out. She knew better, she knew she had to be calm and calculated not rash and unpredictable. Today was not about war and fighting, today was about setting the scene, setting things up. 

The hate flowed through Little Bear's veins as she looked at the very woman who birthed her. 

All the emotions brought back the memories. There were so many good things her mother had done for her but the bad things were all the young woman remembered. 

The wind was terribly loud in her ears as Bjorn spoke. Harold sat in the middle of Ivar and Hvitserk, Astrid just to the back of Harold, being his Queen. Little Bear stood close to Ivar, her hand resting on her weapons that were on her belt area. 

When she tuned back in what was being said, she heard Bjorn speaking. "I call upon my brothers, Ivar, Hvitserk, let's put aside our differences, for the sake of our father. A civil war can only bring tragedy. Weaken our family." Her brother turned his head to look at the young blonde, his sister, the one who he'd sworn to protect forever. "Sister, you must agree, a civil war between us all is unnecessary. It will set in train a lifetime of revenge obligations for those who manage to survive! Is that really what you all want?"

Iona hoped that her brother would forgive her in the long run. She loved Bjorn but her love for Ivar was much greater. 

"I want to speak up and support Bjorn, and his call for a peaceful resolution. It is true I set my face against my brother. But if you can forgive me, Ivar, let us make an accord." Ubbe spoke calmly as he looked at Ivar. Little Bear knew there was much love in the heart of Ubbe for his youngest brother. 

Little Bear noticed Ivar watching Ubbe, for a split second she noticed him listening properly and taking in every word Ubbe was saying. Iona would fight if she had to, she didn't want to fight her close friend, Ubbe though. He had always been good to her. 

Then Lagetha began to speak getting everyone's attention. "We are going to war for the Kingdom of Kattegat. The Kingdom of Kattegat was carved out by my husband Ragnar Lothbrok, and then by me." She stood up as she spoke, looking between the people who were on the opposite side to her. 

Iona and her mother made eye contact for a second. The young blonde did not want any part in this, she was not a pawn in this. 

"I am its rightful Queen. What we should be discussing is how we combine our great armies, and direct them out towards new lands, new conquests, new opportunities. What a... Terrible pity to kill our young men for a piece of land which is already ours." Lagertha looked away from Ivar and to the girl she had birthed. "Daughter, it has been too long since I have seen your face. I have missed you. I love you, child."