Family

The young blonde did not worry about what others thought. Her mind was only on Ivar and how he made her felt. She loved the way his voice sounded, it was something that had always drawn her in, she would be able to find him in a crowd by his voice alone. And then, his face. Gosh, those eyes were enough for her to get lost in, Iona knew she could drown herself in the blues of them.

"Lagertha murdered our mother and usurped her kingdom," Ivar spoke simply. He sat comfortably on the floor as he watched his half brother who had his head down and his fingers entwined in front of himself on the table. 

Bjorn took a deep breath before he spoke, "All that is in the past now, Ivar." Little Bear watched as Bjorn looked over at his youngest brother. 

The young blonde tuned her attention back to Ivar. She noticed how clam he remained as he spoke, "I must avenge my mother's murder." He leaned forward where he sat. In the right light, she noticed a small amount of facial hair growing on his upper lip, she couldn't help but bit her lower lip as she breathed in sharply. She knew this was not the time for her to be thinking irrationally, for these thoughts to be taking over her mind. This was the time that Ivar required her focus, Little Bear was just angry as he was regarding Aslaug's death and the manner in which it happened. Lagertha had betrayed her daughter by placing her in the care of the woman she would later go on to murder. Her mother had betrayed her again by letting her believe she was special, that she was a gift, instead it was all lies. 

"And I think you would do the same if it was you."

Bjorn let out a long sigh as he straightened in his seat. "For the sake of our father, for the sake of our father's legacy and everything he believed in," Bjorn looked at the dark haired Ragnarsson hoping that he would see sense. "I am asking you, Ivar, do not put our people's live at risk."

Ivar sat forward again, Little Bear watched as he breathed out a deep breath, his shoulders relaxing. "The only reason why you are saying this is because you see all the might gathering against you. If you still thought you could win,you would not be here, Bjorn. The fact is, you are afraid."

"I am not afraid," Bjorn spoke calmly as he looked away from his brother and glanced at his young sister. He hoped she would say something instead she kept quiet. Her eyes were on Ivar, her brother had noticed the blonde barely took her eyes from the youngest son of Aslaug. "This changes nothing," Bjorn said as he looked back at Ivar. 

"Well," Ivar threw his right hand up for a second as he leaned back casually. 

From the darkness, men came out with swords that they unsheathed, storming into the room under Ivar's command. 

Iona watched as Ivar settled for a second before King Harold jumped to his feet. "What is this?" He was commanding as everyone stopped in their tracks and looked at the King. 

Ivar looked surprised at Harold's involvement. 

"You know as well as I do that this is not our way." Harold pointed at the man he was working along side before looking at the men in the room. "It's not our way!"

Ivar's lips curled into a small smirk before he spoke in a sweet tone, "It was worth a try." His warriors left the room quickly as Ivar waved them off.

"I'm sorry Rollo had to involve
himself in our quarrel." Bjorn looked at Harold as he spoke before he turned his attention back to the blonde woman who sat beside Hvitserk. 

Iona looked at her brother as she felt his eyes on her. She wondered what was in his head, if he would expose the truth to Ivar. 

"I have always loved you, sister." Bjorn told her with a sad look. "You must accept your fate, I do not believe you will die in the battle but at the hands of my brother." He watched as her eyes darkened, the blackness taking over all colour. 

Iona tilted her head to the right. "Goodbye, Bjorn."

Getting up from the table, the eldest Ragnarsson looked away from his sister. He debated in his mind whether to expose her parentage, but he could never betray her in such a way when there was still hope for her. 

There was little time before the battle was to commence. Iona had prepared herself, her hair was perfectly pulled back and her clothes were tight on her body but before she was to go to war, she had to see Ivar. 

It didn't take much for her to find him. He was sitting opposite Hvitserk on small logs, the two of them preparing their armor for battle. She tilted her head as she watched, her lips pressed together as she looked at his profile. Little Bear wanted to join them, she wanted to spend some time with him but she did not want to interrupt their moment together especially if it might be their last. 

Everything looked happy as they laughed together before Ivar lashed his arm forward, knife in it holding against Hvitserk's throat. 

Stepping forward, the blonde made her way over just as Ivar took it back and smirked at his older brother. "I'm anxious about the battle. I am sorry."

"Ivar," Little Bear said as she tried to get his attention but Hvitserk wanted it more.

"You're sorry?" He sounded surprised as he asked as he looked at his dark haired brother.

"I am sorry you jumped ship. It was a mistake." Ivar watched him carefully as he spoke. "I know you have regretted it
ever since. And isn't that true, huh, poor Hvitserk?"

"Hvitserk," she spoke in a warning tone.

"Maybe sometimes."

"Maybe sometimes," Ivar repeated as he looked at Hvitserk. Little Bear wanted to get between them, to stop this pettiness before the battle. Their energy needed to be used elsewhere. "I thought that
perhaps you jumped ship because you loved me." Ivar spoke in a sad tone. She put a hand on his shoulder hoping to snap him back to reality. "But of course you didn't. How could you ever love me?"

Little Bear looked at Hvitserk, he looked torn as he kept silent for a moment. Iona took her hand back, leaving the two brothers in peace. 

She needed a moment of peace, to reflect on what was about to come. 

There was people on the other side of the battlefield who she had loved dearly, people who she had classed as her friends and her family. She was scared, scared that this might be it, that she could die at someone else's hands.

The battle was intense, it started so quickly that before she even knew, Little Bear was caught up in many small fights. She battled alongside Hvitserk when they started, the two of them working side by side before she moved away from him quickly. 

She took many blows, feeling the intense sting from a knife in the arm as she fought many who supported her mother. Taking her knife, she drove it into the person before her, quickly attacking and bringing them down to their knees. She needed to keep the upper hand. She could not die in battle, not now, not here, not until everything had been completed, not until her mother was dead. 

Everyone she knew so well seemed to far away from her, she could not see them. Hvitserk was no longer close to her, she could not see Harold nor Astrid. 

She frantically made her way through people, stabbing them as she went, her sword slaughtering many people who dared to step in front of her. 

Then she spotted a familiar face. There he was, the man who was meant to be her father. Little Bear knew he was a great warrior, someone who was fearless and capable. 

His eyes locked with hers, she didn't know what to think as she looked at him. There was one thing she knew, she knew he would never be a part of her of her life. She would not allow any part of it. 

There was an echo in her mind, it caught her attention making her turn to look over to where she knew Ivar was watching. Her eyes landed on him, there he stood proudly and it only made her smirk on seeing him.