Fate Not Sealed

Pretending like everything was okay was hard for Little Bear. She'd dealt with men trying to hurt her before but not someone who was supposed to be her friend. She pretended to stay asleep when Ubbe woke up, ignoring his words when he spoke to her. When she heard him leave, she pulled the blanket over her head as she tried to clear her head. 

Sleep had evaded her all night after Sigurd went. Even now, she was struggling. She didn't want to be alone, she didn't want to be just sitting here waiting. Biting her hand, she tried to breathe away the tears she could feel coming. 

She couldn't shake the thoughts that clouded her mind, the sounds becoming so loud that she found it almost unbearable. During this time, she hated the feeling of being alone. She wished for her brother to return, Ubbe was weak, her mother was a traitor, she was truly alone right now. 

The tears that she had tried to hold back did leave her eyes. The furs that covered her helped mop up the wetness as she laid there. Little Bear thought the brothers would protect her, Sigurd proving her wrong. 

There was no way of knowing how much time had passed her by, she must have fallen asleep, her eyes opening widely when she heard the door open very abruptly. Throwing the furs from herself, she climbed to her feet quickly getting out of the bed to see Ubbe. 

"Come with me," he told the young blonde. 

Iona nodded, picking a small knife from Hvitserk's bed before she followed the eldest Ragnarsson. "Where are we going?" She asked as he led her out of the cabin. Astrid was waiting outside, she did not stop the daughter of her lover but walked between them, she needed to know where they were going. 

"Boats are arriving," he explained to her. "My father and Ivar, they have returned."

Little Bear knew something was wrong, she felt something was not right in what he was saying. "Ubbe," she reached from his hand but he didn't let her take it. "Please, listen to me."

He didn't stop, he didn't turn or look at her either. "We have to go," he said as they both looked up. 

At the docks, there was a large boat. Iona stayed close to Ubbe as they headed through the crowd before getting to the edge of the ship next to Sigurd. She stood by Ubbe as two men passed a weak-looking Ivar out of the ship, Sigurd and Ubbe putting their arms around him and escorting him back to their hut. Iona noted that they were being watched by everyone, Astrid was close by and she could see her mother watching on with a straight face. The mother and daughter's eyes met only for Iona to look away choosing to focus on the men in her life.

Little Bear stayed close behind them, the young woman keeping with the brothers as they entered inside. The three brothers sat at the table, Ubbe poured Ivar a glass of water. The blonde woman sat away from the others as she watched Ivar settle on his seat. He looks emotionally, mentally and physically drained. He usually looked quite young but today, he was looking older than his time. 

"Where is our father?" Sigurd asked him as Astrid enters the hut watching the exchange from a distance. 

Ivar doesn't answer as he lifts his hand to his mouth. Iona watches as his expression changes, thinking about how to tell his brothers. 

Ubbe then speaks, "Where is Ragnar?"

Ivar turns his head to his eldest brother, Iona listens as Ivar talks about his father being passed around between Kings and expressing his feelings that his father is probably dead now. 

From the end of the table, Little Bear watches as Ivar speaks of avenging his father, then she notices the looks Sigurd and Ubbe share. Tilting her head to the side, she watches as Sigurd sits on the table close to his younger brother. "We have something to tell you," he speaks to Ivar, his voice is calm and quiet.