Before.

When she was born, there were celebrations around the village she was born into. 

Her mother was excited to receive the precious gift of life again. Her beautiful daughter who could make an excellent addition to the small family. Lagertha only had one other child, having lost her first daughter, Gyda. 

Lagertha had been told that she was not to have any more children, so when her daughter arrived she couldn't have been happier. She swore to protect the small helpless baby girl, her 'Little Bear'. Iona Lagerthadottir was her birth name, yet it wasn't a name she was called very often. 

As Iona grew into a child, she had a decision to be exactly like her mother. She wanted a sword and a shield like the woman she had admired for so long. By the time she was thirteen, she could successfully take down a grown man without hesitation. Iona was fearless, she believed that she was somewhat indestructible after all she was a gift from the God's. Her mother was never meant to birth another child, yet here she was. No man, woman or being scared Iona, not when she had the God's on her side. 

Shortly after her fourteenth birthday, Iona found herself alone. Her mother had headed off to Wessex, Bjorn, the eldest child of Lagertha found himself with Iona. He'd helped take care of his younger sister when she was a child, but he'd watched her grow into the stealthy murderess she had become before he went to be with his father. Bjorn had no doubts in his mind when it came to Iona taking care of herself. 

Even though Iona didn't have her own father, Bjorn assured her that his father would take her like she was his own. So, they headed to Kattegat, home of Bjorn's father and his brother's. The place Iona was to call home from now on. 

The one thing Bjorn feared might be a problem when they arrived in Kattegat was the lingering truth about the young girl. She was Lagertha's daughter, someone who could rival her own mother on the battlefield. 

Iona also believed she was of the God's, Bjorn knew there was someone in Kattegat who believed the same of himself.