Listening and Watching

Little Bear had spent a few days in the company of her mother. During that time, she had learnt that only Ivar seemed to be against her. He had challenged her to single combat, she refused in front of everyone but I could have already told him that. 

At the time, Iona had stood close by, watching on as if nothing was happening. 

Ivar had entered the hall, everyone watched him. His demeanour was dark, Little Bear stood in the shadows, her eyes on his the whole time. Even though he was a cripple, he showed no fear as he dragged himself towards her and onto the small stool placed down for him. 

The three of Ivar's brothers stood to the side, watching on. 

"Welcome, Ivar," Lagertha spoke sweetly as she stood with her heads behind her back watching on. 

He looked her in the eyes, "I've come here for justice. Everyone knows you that you killed my mother for no reason. Except ambition. Therefore I demand justice."

Ubbe stepped forward, placing a hand on Ivar's shoulder. "Ivar."

Ivar was quick to knock Ubbe's hand away, "Don't touch me, coward!"

Lagertha stepped forward, "He is not a coward but perhaps he understands some things you don't." She placed a hand on his shoulder as she spoke.

"I understand everything perfectly," Ivar was calm. "You murdered my mother in cold blood. I want revenge." 

Little Bear noticed the way he stared at her mother. Ivar never looked away, he wanted her to know how he felt. 

As Lagertha removed her hand, Ivar spoke again. "I challenge you to single combat."

There was noise as people started to chatter around them. 

Iona looked away from Ivar for a second, her eyes glancing over at her mother. Lagertha was not bothered by his request. The young woman knew at this time her mother would say no. Of course, Lagertha had her reasons for refusing. 

She turned her attention back to Ivar. His stare into the eyes of her mother was intoxicating, drawing in the young woman. 

Lagertha leaned her head forward a little. "I refuse."

"You can't refuse." Ivar was quick to speak back to the woman who had claimed the throne in Kattegat.

As she backed away, Lagertha spoke. "I refuse to fight you, Ivar Lothbrok, son of Ragnar."

Iona looked at her mother before returning her gaze back to Ivar. His eyes never left Lagertha even when her back was too him. 

"Why? Hmm?" He spoke getting the Queen's attention. 

Holding her dress up as she stood close to her throne, Lagertha turned her head back to face the young lad. "I don't want to kill you," her reasoning came out, at least the reasoning she wanted everyone to hear. 

Little Bear glanced at her mother before looking at Ivar. He smirked as he moved his head down before scratching it. He was so sure about everything he said, "Who says you would kill me?" His lips were a constant smirk as he spoke to the Queen. 

"I do."

"Alright," he shrugged his shoulders. "Don't fight me then." Ivar was a man who had lost both his parents, he had nothing to lose. "I don't care just as you know that one day, I will kill you Lagertha. Your fate is fixed." 

He didn't speak anymore, just leaving the stool before heading out of the hall leaving everyone silent. 

Lagertha's daughter looked at the Queen. Iona watched as her mother's face seemed blank and emotionless but she knew better. Little Bear looked away, her eyes focusing on her eyes not to raise any attention to herself. 

XOXOX

The clothes Iona had been offered to wear were dresses, she had tried to find her old clothes but they had disappeared. It had been a few days since the Ivar incident, she noted that her mother's mood had lifted since then though. 

She left her quarters before finding her mother in the throne room. "Mother," Little Bear approached as she noted Torvi and Astrid watching on. 

"My sweet daughter," the Queen spoke as she looked at the woman before her. Lagertha could not believe how much the girl before he had changed. "What is wrong?"

Little Bear smiled sweetly, "My old clothes, can I have them returned to me?"

Lagertha sighed, "You look like a proper lady in this attire."

"You raised me to be like them," Iona reminded her mother as she motioned her head towards the women that stood to the left of the Queen. "You cannot harness that part of my life." She wanted to get back out there, to be the woman she was before. 

Astrid and Torvi exchanged a look of concern as they listened to the words that the young blonde had spoken. Sure Torvi had known of Iona before, she knew how they spoke of the daughter of Lagertha but she had never seen her in action. 

"Astrid," Lagertha spoke to the dark-haired woman who looked over. 

Iona always wondered what it was like for the shieldmaiden that was always by her mother's side. Astrid's hair was different from the others, her hair was dark and short. She wondered if something had happened to her in the past if something or someone had wronged her leaving her to be like this. There were not many women in Kattegat that were not blonde, it was a privilege to be a blonde, making you look more attractive. 

"Can you return my daughter's belongings to her?" Lagertha asked the pretty dark-haired woman. 

Astrid nodded before she looked at Iona, "Follow me." 

Little Bear smiled and nodded at her mother, "Thank you." She turned to Astrid and followed her, going to the quarters of the dark-haired shieldmaiden. 

The young woman kept her eyes on the woman who reached under the bed before pulling out the clothing that belonged to Iona. 

"When you moved my stuff, did you bring my weapons too?"

Astrid shook her head, "I'm afraid not. There was not too much there when I arrived." The woman was honest with the young blonde who quickly retrieved all her items. 

"Thank you," Little Bear said to the pale woman. "Can I change here?"

"What? Now?"

"Yes," the younger woman said. "I just want to spend some time feeling myself for a bit."

Astrid turned away, "Okay." She turned around so she was not watching the young woman, Astrid had noticed that she was beautiful but she was not her mother. "I have more black for your eyes," Astrid spoke. "Wearing it really brings out the colour of your eyes."

Iona listened to the words that the woman spoke. She didn't know what to say in reply though. Quickly she stripped out of the dress and shoes before returning to her normal clothing and boots, a smile coating her lips when she did. "All done," Iona announced before Astrid turned back to her. 

"Here," Astrid gave Iona a small tub. "You are very much like your mother."