Awakening the Numbness

Silence, there was just silence.

Iona stared; her eyes changed to black as she watched.

Ubbe and Hvitserk tried to do something, anything to help their brother but it was too long, Sigurd was definitely dead.

Ivar picked up his crutch before getting out of his seat and walking away as if nothing had happened. Little Bear watched him before her eyes glanced at her brother, he was rubbing the bridge of his nose as King Harold spoke to him, Halfdan watching on.

Walking towards Hvitserk and Ubbe, Ubbe glanced up at her. "Leave it," he said to her before she could get much closer.

Stopping where she was, Hvitserk looked at her concern in his eyes as he spotted the darkness in her eyes. He wanted to talk to her, to reassure he but he had a job to do here with Ubbe.

Turning away from them, she looked at Bjorn again, he wasn't watching her or the scene as he tried to distance himself from it all. She walked in the direction that Ivar had headed, she didn't know if she was going to speak to him or anything but she couldn't help herself. Floki watched from afar, he knew the girl was troubled but following Ivar was only going to make it worse.

Little Bear took small steps, she did not know where Ivar had gone. Her feet took her to the room where she had murdered the King, as she pushed the door open the smouldering smell hit her. She stared at the space where she left the body, Bjorn and Ubbe had tidied up her mess only leaving black scorch marks on the floor.

Crouching down, she ran her fingers along the marks before rubbing her two forefingers against her thumb. Behind her, she heard the distinct sound of Ivar's crutch hitting the floor before his distinct voice spoke. "You should not be here," he told her as she kept her back to him as she got to her feet. "Leave."

Rolling her eyes to herself, she turned to face him. His face was stony as he looked into her dark eyes, trying to find out what she was thinking. Iona tilted her head to the side as she looked at him, her eyes searching for any hint of emotions as she dragged her eyes to his hands were the left held his crutch and the right held his axe, then she looked back into his eyes.

Taking a step towards him, he watched her with wide eyes. "What are you scared of?" He asked her, she confused him as her actions were the opposite to her eyes. Again, she stepped towards him, closing the gap even further leaving only inches between them as she looked up into his bright blue eyes.

There was something about him that made her feel invincible. Seeing the murderous look on his face before he picked up the axe and threw it at Sigurd made her insides tighten.

"I'm not scared," Iona's voice was almost a whisper as she slowly moved her left hand towards his right where he held his axe.

When her fingers brushed over his fingers, he dropped the axe as if her touch had burnt him. The blue of his eyes seemed to darken as he stared into her eyes, "You should be." His voice was low as they kept eye contact. "Did you not just see what I did out there?"

She opened her mouth slightly; she was going to speak but instead, she just smirked at him. Her eyes bounced between his eyes and his lips before she stood on her tiptoes. Iona lifted her right hand, her fingertips edging towards his face before daring to let them barely linger just over his left jaw.

"You're only going to get hurt," he told her as his eyes glanced down at her fingers before his free hand reached up and held her hand just away from his face.

Her fingers wrapped around his hand as he did to hers, "I'm already hurting. How could you make it any worse?"

Ivar pulled her closer to him, their chests were touching as he heard her breathing quickening. His strength impressed her, the grip on her hand was strong and tight but it did not scare her if anything it excited the blonde.

As she looked up at him, he noticed a hint of something in her eyes but he didn't know what it was. Iona eyes alternated between his eyes and lips before she braved it, she stood just on her tiptoes as she pressed her lips against his.

His eyes were wide as he felt her lips on his, this was not his first time he had felt a woman's lips on his but it was the first time a woman had kissed him because she wanted to. Iona pulled away as she looked at him, the kiss was quick and over almost instantly. His grip on his wrist grew a little tighter before Ivar leaned in, she leaned in at the same time, both of them closing their eyes as their lips met mutually.

She had spent time with other men but this was different. She needed to feel something when was with those other men but with Ivar he made her feel different. She didn't need to feel anything because whenever she looked at him, she could feel it, she wasn't sure what it was but it was there.

His lips were usually cruel and twisted, mainly the words that left them but at this moment in time, they were soft and plump. He kissed her with a purpose, he kissed her like he didn't want to stop and she could feel it. It was rough, passionate and strangely comforting to both of them.

"What is this?"