Too Much Too Quick

When Ubbe returned, he found Ivar sitting on the end of his bed and Iona laying on top of it. She was still fully dressed apart from her outside furs which were laid on Hvitserk's bed. Ubbe looked at Ivar, "What did you do to her?" Ubbe rushed to the bed, "Ivar?"

The youngest brother shook his head as Sigurd and Hvitserk came through the doors. "She's just had too much to drink," Ivar watched as Ubbe put his hand under the young girl's nose feeling for her breathing. "Satisfied?"

Ubbe stood straight before staring at Ivar who smirked at his eldest brother. "What are you two going to do?" 

Ivar raised his eyebrows, "Nothing." He didn't feel that Ubbe deserved to know what they had spoken about. Nothing was decided yet, the young woman had to prove herself to him yet. Watching her get drunk and passing out wasn't supposed to be a part of the plan. He had noticed something was up, since she arrived in Kattegat, Ivar had never seen her drink before so this behaviour from her was unusual. 

"Do you want me to take her back to her own bed?" Sigurd asked as he looked at the woman he had fallen in love in. 

No one suspected a thing, Ivar waved his hand in a way of permission to his brother. To be honest, he wanted his bed back, there was no way he was going to sleep anywhere else for this woman. 

Sigurd kept a straight face as he crossed the room, reaching under young blonde, he picked up her sleeping body. She didn't wake, the alcohol keeping her under a spell even when he carried her away. 

"What does she want to help you with?" Ubbe asked another question to Ivar. 

Ivar shot a look at the brother he recently lost respect for. "Nothing at the moment," Ivar lied again. "We just had a few things we needed to talk about."

"Like how you almost killed her the other day?" Ubbe shot back.

"What?" Hvitserk jerked his head around as he looked between his two brothers. "What did you do, Ivar?"

Pulling the top off he was wearing, Ivar looked at Hvitserk, "Do not concern yourself with such small issues. She and I, we have found some common ground." 

Ubbe and Hvitserk exchanged a look before Hvitserk grabbed the fur overcoat of Iona's that was on his bed. "I am going to return this to her," he announced. 

"She is asleep, brother. She does not need it." Ubbe told him as he unbraided his hair. 

Hvitserk looked at the item in his hand before he sighed, "It will be cold in the morning. She will need it then."

Ivar watched his brother, he understood that they seemed to have an obsession with the blonde. She showed little interest in them other than friends though. He tilted his head to the side as he saw Hvitserk leave, this only leaving Ivar and Ubbe together. 

"I think you need to leave Little Bear out of your plans," Ubbe told his younger brother. "She has a kind soul and innocent eyes."

The youngest Ragnarsson wanted to laugh, instead, he leaned back on his now-empty bed and got comfortable on top of the covers. "What are you afraid of, brother? She has her own mind."

Ubbe looked over at Ivar, he noticed the smirk on his lips as he spoke about the daughter of the woman who killed their mother. Maybe Ivar knew something that Ivar didn't about her. 

Silence ensued for a couple of minutes before there was loud shouting outside in the main area. Ubbe and Ivar exchanged a look before Ubbe grabbed his sword and headed out, Ivar following once he got off the bed. 

What Ubbe saw was Hvitserk and Sigurd fighting in the mud. The rain was pouring down in the streets making it difficult for them both to stand and fight properly but it was obvious to Ubbe that Hvitserk was winning. 

He rushed over, pulling them apart. He pushed Hvitserk towards their hut before he turned to Sigurd. "What is this?"

"I was just comforting her," Sigurd told his eldest brother. 

Ivar was standing in the doorway, he was watching. His interest mildly on this before he glanced over at the open door of the place that used to be Bjorn's, now Iona's. 

"Comforting!" Hvitserk's voice was loud and threatening as he launched back towards Sigurd. 

The door closed to the hut, Ivar looked at the mess that was happening between his brothers, he rolled his eyes before he took a few steps forward with his stick. 

"I didn't hear her saying no," Sigurd smirked at Hvitserk which only caused more commotion. 

Turning his head, the rain messing up his hair and vision but it didn't matter to Ivar. Sigurd was smug as Ubbe held back the blonde Hvitserk who was desperately trying to get at Sigurd. "Covering her mouth does not count as yes!"

"She laid there and let me do those things to her," Sigurd told him and his brothers as a crowd started to gather. 

Ivar's grip was tight on the axe in his other hand. He launched it, the blade skimming the top of Sigurd's head, blood began to drip down his forehead as everyone turned and looked at Ivar, shocked at his actions. He wanted to comfort the young woman but his rage would only wind her up more. Ivar's eyes moved to Hvitserk, "Go!" 

He didn't need telling twice, leaving the main area and going to Iona. He did not know if he would be able to help her but he knew she needed someone now more than ever.