Ragnar's Return to Kattegat

Floki accompanied Little Bear back to Kattegat on horseback. They did not speak on their journey, Little Bear did not wish to share any details with him, afraid he might know more about what Saga meant. Floki did not want to pry any more unless Iona wanted to tell him herself. He was concerned about the girl, her mind was obviously full of damaging thoughts, but he couldn't help her, he had his own mind to deal with.

When they arrived in Kattegat, Floki helped her down from the horse before he tied it then turned to her. "Bjorn returned shortly after you left," he informed the girl. "Ragnar has also returned as you well know."

Iona nodded, "My life will forever be in debt to Ragnar." She knew that he had played a big part in her survival, although the two of them meeting there was meant to be.

"How did you get hurt?" Floki asked her as they walked towards the main area in Kattegat.

She ran her fingers along the skin as she took a deep breath, "By trying to prove to myself that I am still the girl I used to be." Little Bear laughed coldly, "I am not the same person, unfortunately."

He put his hand on her back, but quickly Iona jumped away from his touch. "Time has made you stronger and more mature," Floki told her ignoring her actions, he did think about the fact she moved away from the simple gesture. It was odd, Little Bear had never shown any signs that she didn't like physical contact before, he thought about it as they walked together. "I think your wisdom could be something to share with the brothers regarding their father's return."

"Why would they care what I think?" Little Bear asked him as she looked at the townspeople gathered listened to Aslaug talking.

He stopped walking, she stopped beside him and looked up at him as he smiled at her. "Because you of all people know what it's like to have no father. You know how cold it can be without that man in your life." Floki always had advice to give, he knew the young girl wanted a father figure so much. Bjorn had been for a while, but he was only her brother and had his own life. "Not only do you have this to share, but you are also here to share that because of Ragnar. He still cares," Floki gave the young woman a nod before he turned and walked away.

She watched him walk away before she looked forward, Aslaug made eye contact with her briefly before Little Bear looked away. Taking small steps, she followed the trail towards the shared hut the four brothers stayed in. She timidly knocked on the door before waiting for someone to answer, after standing there for a few minutes, she realised no one was there or at least no one was answering the door.

"They have gone off to practice their skills," Margrethe's voice made Iona jump when she spoke. She seemed to appear from nowhere, coming from around the side of the building. She looked Little Bear up and down, her eyes narrowing with every moment she looked at the broken girl.

Iona nodded before she walked away, heading towards the wooded area Sigurd would take her. There he would teach her how to throw an axe something she'd wanted to learn from him.

As she approached, she stayed back behind the trees, she could hear the clanging of the metal swords, the axes hitting trees and the shouts from the four men. She snuck a peek at the scene, Ivar was sat on a tree stump, his legs bound together as he fought with a sword against Hvitserk, even managing to get the upper hand with Ubbe and Sigurd watching them.

Moving out of the trees, she stepped on a twig only for an axe to fly past her head as she looked up from the ground. "What are you doing here?" Ubbe asked frantically as he walked towards the young woman, his long hair pulled back in braids as he reached over for her.

Stepping back, Little Bear's eyes were wide. "Did you throw that?" She asked him as she looked at the axe that was in the tree behind her.

Ubbe shook his head, but from the cold laugh she heard, she already knew who did it. "I threw it," Ivar was smug as he told her. "What are you going to do about it, child?"

She looked around before he grabbed hold of Ubbe's sword from his belt, she walked towards Ivar with a look of determination on her face.

"He's just trying to wind you up," Sigurd spoke up trying to get her attention.

"Stay out of it brother!" Ivar roared in the direction of Sigurd without taking his gaze from the young blonde. His lips with a smirk, a gleeful look as he taunted her. "I know you are weak," Ivar spoke as Hvitserk stepped away from him, all he could do was stand next to Sigurd and watch.

Iona swung the sword back as she approached, her shoulder straining and causing pain to radiate through her as she thrust the blade towards Ivar's midsection. He was quick to block, a tormenting cruel chuckle left his lips as she moved back and swung again, when she threw her arm forward again, her foot stumbled giving Ivar the chance to use his sword to help her fall, instead of letting her fall, he pulled her body close to his, her back to his chest. The tip of his sword touched her chin as she breathed deeply.

The panic began to set in when she felt his hands actually on her, although they were placed on her stomach and her right arm, Iona struggled against him. "Get off me," she tried to pull herself away from him, but it made him hold her tighter. Her breathing was heavy as she realised she was trapped, his hands were her skin, and she couldn't get away like in the forest. Little Bear's eyes were dark as she tried to look for something, anything to help her, she hated the feeling of someone stopping her from moving freely.

"Brother," Sigurd warned as he stepped towards Ivar. The youngest of the brothers made no attempt to stop; instead, he smirked at his older brother.

Ubbe walked close, his eyes on the terror-filled look on Little Bear's face. "Ivar!" He snapped, getting the youngest boy's attention.

When Ivar saw how close Ubbe was, he moved his sword from the blonde before pointing it at the eldest of his brothers. "We are just playing," Ivar spoke cooly as he kept a grip on the half-sister of Bjorn. "Isn't that right, Iona?"

She breathed in harshly when he said her name, using her left hand which was no longer held in place by his large arm, she dug her nails into his right hand that was on her right arm. He quickly let her go but launched himself at the blonde who stepped away from him.

"Come here!" His rage and anger was felt by everyone as Little Bear stood behind Ubbe, her hands on his shoulders as she willed for him to protect her right now. "Ubbe, do not think about helping her."

Iona watched helplessly as Ivar crawled towards them, her eyes flickered to Sigurd who was looking at Hvitserk, both of them unsure of what to do next.

"Brother," Ubbe spoke calmly as he stepped in Ivar's path.

"Get out of my way!" The voice that left his mouth did not shock anyone. The four of them had seen Ivar's fury before, this was the first time he'd directed such bitter rage at the young blonde though.

Ubbe crossed his arms over his chest before Ivar let out a scream of rage before he looked up at the blonde who was watching on in fascination. "My brothers won't always be around to protect you, Iona, remember that."