Needing to Know

"England?" Iona had just found out that Ragnar had invited Sigurd, Hvitserk and Ubbe to travel with him. "Please tell me you're not going?"

Hvitserk chuckled, "Of course not." He shook his head as he sat in the empty chair behind to the young blonde who sat on the floor in front of the fire. "If we left who would look after you."

That was not the reason they refused to go, they knew it was a mission which would probably fail. Their father had returned home and asked them to go with him as if nothing had happened. Their place was here with their mother, the woman who had brought them up. 

"What about Ivar?" Ubbe tried to work out if Iona was just being inquisitive or hopeful. It had become obvious to most that there was a tension between the youngest Ragnarsson and Little Bear. Ubbe had hoped that over time it would dissipate but it seemed that it only got worse. 

The last confrontation between them had been worrying, Ubbe had discussed it with Hvitserk in private but they could not reach a conclusion of what course of action they should take. 

Sigurd leaned back in his chair as Iona leaned forward and rubbed her hands in front of the fire that kept them warm. "The invitation was not extended to him," Sigurd's voice sounded a little too pleased with himself as he crossed his arms over his chest. 

Iona didn't turn her head, she didn't look back but the small glimmer of hope she held disappeared. Living in Kattegat would have been easier if Ivar was to go away for a while, Little Bear needed some time to herself but seeing him around with all the threats he seemed to dish out was not something she was happy about.

"Your father," Little Bear spoke as she stared in the fire listening to the crackle of the wood that burned. "He came to see me..." Her voice trailed off as she seemed to just stare forwards, she could speak and listen but couldn't tear her eyes away from the flames. "Why are none of you married?"

The three brother's looked at each other confused by her question. "What did Ragnar say to you?" Hvitserk was quick to ask the question on their minds as he looked at the back of the blonde's head. 

Iona closed her eyes finally returning to the room, "It's not important." Turning around on the hard wooden floor before she looked up at Hvitserk before looking him up and down. She wondered if maybe this was the person Ragnar thought she was to marry. Her eyes wandered to the other two in the room, they all watched her as she examined them. Iona didn't know if any of them was right for her, would any of them make her truly happy? Would any of them make her a great warrior? She jumped up to her feet, a smile on her lips as she tried to move the conversation on, "I'm going hunting. Feel free to join me." 

She didn't say another word before she skipped off. Heading to her hut, she pulled the door open before finding her small hunting knife and axe from under the wool cover on the bed. As she stood up she heard a knock on the door before it creaked open, her head jerking around to see who was entering. 

"Sigurd," Iona looked at him as she held her axe by her chest. "What are you doing here?"

He took a moment to think of how to phrase his words. She had never seen him like this, it wasn't like him to hold back. "Are you in trouble?" He asked his friend who seemed like she was troubled. 

Little Bear turned away from him, she tucked her knife into the waistband of her trousers before smoothing her hair with her free hand. "No, no trouble." Iona looked back at the man before her, Sigurd was a good friend and a smooth talker, he wasn't bad looking either but she knew he wasn't someone she would be able to marry. "I just think," she shook her head as she sighed. "Your father," she stared up at him and ran her fingers through her hair before she pushed it back over her shoulders. "He said some things to me."

"Why do you let his words affect you?" Sigurd asked her as he leaned against the door. 

She looked at him, his sloppy blonde braids were falling out and his bright eyes were without their usual sparkle. "You don't know how lucky you are," she sat on the edge of the bed as she looked up at him. "You might not think it. I don't have a father," her words were honest as Iona told him some things she wasn't fond of sharing. "Ragnar might not have been around for you, but he's here now. I think he wants to try with you, with you all."

Sigurd groaned at her words, she was naive when it came to Ragnar. "He has come back because he needs people to go to England with him. I love my father, he is a great man but my place is here with my mother, no matter what I think of her." 

Iona didn't voice her opinions but she thought about how Sigurd's relationship with his mother wasn't something that was particularly stable. "So, have you just come to ask about my thoughts or are you going to hunt with me?"

He stepped away from the door, "My mother requires my presence shortly. I'll see you at dinner." With that, he left, Iona's nose twitched as she watched the door slam behind him. 

Taking her axe, she left the hut shortly after Sigurd left. She walked to the forest, heading through the trees before she sat on a fallen log, her breathing steady as she waited. Looking around, she kept her wits about her as she looked for her prey. Iona closed her eyes, her ears taking over as she tried to use that sense more. 

The wind rustled the leaves on the trees and whipped her loose hair around her small face. She enjoyed the peace of being alone but didn't like it for too long. Today was a good day for her to be alone, Iona hated not knowing the truth. She could pay a visit to the Seer, but she didn't know if she wanted to hear how her fate was played out. Opening her eyes, she realised that the Seer might tell you something but it doesn't have to be her future like her own mother. 

She watched a little longer in the forest, her eyes flitting around when she heard a sound but no animals passed her by. The sun had gone down before she decided to return to the main area of Kattegat, getting to her feet she took the trails back the way she had came earlier in the day. 

Her mind was full of thoughts, there was so much she needed to know. She wondered if Ragnar knew things or if he was just getting under her skin. If it was the latter, it worked. She couldn't get his words out of her head.