They All See

Iona watched over the next couple of days as people arrived in Kattegat. She knew that it was all people who were there to help fight, help bring revenge for the death of Ragnar. Things were changing around her. 

Sitting on the roof of a building, she watched as her mother was working, putting some final touches to a cabin. Little Bear was in her tunic and leggings with boots today, opting to leave the dress behind whilst she sat in dangerous places. 

She had been perched up there for a while when she was joined by Hvitserk. He sat next to her, she turned her head and looked straight at him. "I'm coming with you," she stated as she raised her eyebrows at the blonde with the sloppy braids. 

"We've been through this," he told her as he crossed his legs and placed his hands on his lap. "Please, just listen to me. You won't be safe."

Hvitserk wanted to hit her around the head, she was the most stubborn person he had met. 

"Why do you want to come along so badly?"

Little Bear looked away from him and glanced over the town. "Look around, Hvitserk. I don't belong here, I'm not the princess my mother wants me to be. I'm not the cute little woman who sits around waiting for her husband or a man to marry. I'll never be just someone's wife, I'll never be just a woman."

"These are all things you are afraid of," Hvitserk shook his head. 

She smirked to herself, "I'll never be like that. The God's have a bigger plan for me. I can feel it, I know there is more than this." Her eyes looked around, she watched as Floki and Ivar met, the two of them heading off somewhere in private before she looked back at the brother who had taken the time to sit with her. 

"You never know what is in store for you," he told her with a slight smile. "One day you might find yourself in love, married," he let out a slight chuckle. "You might even be blessed with children of your own." 

Little Bear looked away from him as she thought about his words. She didn't think that would be her life, for Iona there was little things in her life that brought her joy. She had watched love around her, she had listened to the stories her mother had shared with her. Lagertha had told her about the relationship she shared with Ragnar, the love they had, the times they shared together. 

"What are you two doing?" The voice came from Lagertha as she stood so she could see the pair on the roof. "Get down from there."

Hvitserk got to his feet, then he made the short jump down before turning his head to look back at Iona, a smirk on his face. "Come on then," he raised his eyebrows at her. 

Standing up, she outstretched her arms before laughing. 

"Get down," Lagertha repeated herself as she watched her daughter. She knew that Iona was going to be as free as a bird, the young blonde had never been bound by restrictions before. 

Little Bear followed Hvitserk's lead, jumping down from the building before standing next to him. She looked around, she watched as her mother walked away before she looked back at Hvitserk, she let out a laugh. "I have a secret," Iona whispered as she leaned in closer to the blonde lad. 

He watched her, she intrigued him so much. She had no fear when it came to certain things. Only a few days ago he had held a knife to her throat, he knew he would never hurt her, he couldn't, she seemed to just let that go. Other things, they seemed to play on her mind, he noticed the way she had changed a little when it came to being around himself and his brothers. Sigurd had broken part of her spirit and it killed Hvitserk to see the small changes in her. 

"Tell me," Hvitserk pressed her. 

Grinning like a small child, she spoke quietly, "Maybe, I could show you soon." 

He didn't know what to say in return to her, she was a beautiful young woman but he knew she was dangerous. Instead, he just let out a small laugh before they walked together. 

Little Bear watched as Hvitserk exchanged a look with the blonde slave, Margrethe. Iona noticed a lot of things when it came to the brothers, she guessed from the look Hvitserk gave her that he was in love with the thrall. 

There was a loud cheer from a distance. Whipping her head around, she noticed Ivar making his way through the people on a chariot which was being pulled by a horse. Floki watched on from afar, a proud smile on his face. 

Iona couldn't help but stare, there was something about the way Ivar looked. He looked like he belonged there, he looked like he was so in charge, in demand. 

"Don't do that," Hvitserk told the blonde as he crossed his arms over his chest. 

She didn't turn her head, she stared at Ivar still as she spoke. "Do what?"

Grabbing her right arm, she managed to drag her attention from the youngest Ragnarsson who captivated her. Looking at Hvitserk, she stared at him unsure of what he was going to say. 

"I know that look," he warned her as he shook his head. He looked over at his younger brother who didn't even know what was happening with Iona. Ivar was too overjoyed with the newfound freedom that Floki had given him. Hvitserk turned his head back to Little Bear, the stupid look was back on her face as she looked up at the brown-haired Ragnarsson. 

Little Bear was in awe of the lad who was a cripple. He would always be known as Ivar the boneless, but she noted that every day he got stronger and more like his father. She had heard the stories from her mother about Ragnar, she knew her mother would always be in love with the man who left her, the man who had fathered four other sons with another woman. Even though Ragnar was dead, her mother could not move on, that was part of the reason that Lagertha was now Queen of Kattegat. 

"Where have you been, sister?" Bjorn approached her standing between her and Ivar who was still moving. 

Looking up at her brother, she smiled. "I've been right here," crossing her arms over her chest she tilted her head to the side. As she looked to the side of her brother, her eyes landed on Ivar for a few brief seconds then she gave Bjorn her attention. 

Bjorn eyed his sister suspiciously, he knew there was something different about Iona. "We must talk, sister. There is much to discuss."