31: Of Custard Buns and Ghost-Type Spirits

You know, he looks really familiar. Elise couldn't but repeat the remark for the thirtieth time as she scrolled through her phone, silently unlatching the window and pushing it upwards. The familiar-looking golden-haired man kept on coming back to her mind and she had no idea why.

Tuck your phone away before you leave out the window, Elise.

Or better yet, don't leave the house! That's a great idea!

No can due. There's been this suspicious activity down near the convenience store bordering the park. Something about a doppelganger and a child? Also something about a strangely-colored dog.

Upon her phone nearly slipping out of her hand, Elise heeded Mewtwo's warning and tucked her phone into her pocket, next to the Pokédex. Swinging her legs out so that she was sitting on the windowsill leaning out, Elise glanced about the street. There was no one around so she carefully slid from the window onto the tree branch adjacent to the window. She climbed down the tree and quietly exited the yard, setting off in the direction of the mentioned park.

It only took a bit before Elise came upon the place, inspecting the dark area around her. To her left was the twenty-four-hour convenience store that reportedly got stolen from, to the right, the park's trees stretched beyond into darkness.

Here we are.

Elise covered a yawn and checked the time. Three in the morning.

Perfect for some custard buns.

At this hour?

Yep! She pushed open the door sending a soft greeting back to the surprisingly cheery cashier working at the counter. There was a selection of them on display and Elise stared at them.

Do you guys want one?

Nah.

No thank you.

Elise gave a short nod and grabbed a few off from the shelf. One would be for her, the others would be for the mysterious thief. Hopefully, it would help her get closer to whoever was stealing from the convenience store, whatever it was. A quick transaction later, she was outside, bag in one hand and a bun in the other.

The package crinkled and Elise bit into the bread, humming in delight. There was something bothering Mewtwo, but she didn't want to pry, so occupying her thoughts with this would do. Scanning the empty road, she set off to the park across from her, aiming for the trees. Wandering through it, she kept an ear out for unusual noises around her.

Taptaptaptap.

Elise nearly stopped at the crunching of leaves, but she continued on, now slightly angling herself to the edge of the park, where there was more light. Despite her extensive knowledge of Pokémons and now her combat abilities, there was still that element of danger at being alone at night. She allowed the being to follow her until the custard bread n her hand was almost finished. Shoving the last bit in her mouth, Elise reached in to grab a second one, tearing open the package and tucking the trash back into their paper bag. Slowing to a stop, Elise pivoted and called out to the trees, "Hello?"

Silence. She relaxed as a flash of maroon darted between the trees.

Okay, so it is a Pokémon.

Still. Be careful.

Hey, hey, I can kick their ass for you if needed.