7: Catching Up (And Some Really Good Food)

The delightful smell of cooking food made Elise's mouth water as she settled down with Mentor and Lucas. Tonight's dinner consisted of foods cooked on a Korean-style grill and various side dishes and bowls of rice to accompany them. A few small Pokémons littered in the dining room as the smells of food attracted them. It was a large meal meant to welcome their uncle home from his trip, but it also seemed to double as a celebratory dinner for Elise's success too.

A spread of food was displayed on the table and a small grill occupied the center. Skewers with cubed meats and vegetables sat beside tofu and marinated beef. Mentor gently nudged one of them of his chair and sat down, scratching Pan on his head. He surveyed the lively household, golden eyes behind wire-rimmed glasses glittered as hey saw the siblings attempting to push away Pan. "The household seems so much livelier now. I take it that you've settled down nicely since I was last here?"

Elise beamed, "Of course, I can't thank you enough for taking me in!"

"Of course, the two of you might as well be my children. I took Lucas in as my apprentice, why not open my doors to you?" Her uncle replied.

A year ago, the girl managed to move out from under her parent's oppressive rule, away from their ideals. Her parents never cared for her too much, especially after they discovered the extent of her quirk when she was five. It was a surprise when it came because the doctor said that she would likely be quirkless because of the extra joint in her toe. Imagine the surprise when the young five-year-old manifested a peculiar quirk. One that her parents did not like too much.

**FLASHBACK**

The bags in her hands may have felt heavy, but the ever-present burden on Elise's shoulders was absent today. Today was the day when the fourteen-year-old would move out of her parents' household. In front of her was her uncle's house, where her brother also stayed to help Mentor out with projects in Japan while their uncle was out of the country. Even though it was not far from her previous household (and she knew that they would cross paths ever so often), she hoped that living with a better company would improve her state of being. 'Don't come crawling back' her mother had said when Elise told them her decision.

Mentor took the bags from her and gave her a smile, eyes crinkling behind his wire-framed glasses. He left Elise alone with her brother under the bright, warm sun and the buzzing bees. The older Wing patted his sister on the back. "New place now kid. You're gonna love it here," he said.

Elise hugged him, wetting his shirt with the clear tears that dripped down her face. She felt light like she could take flight and soar with the birds in the bright blue sky.

'Don't come crawling back' Mother had said.

And Elise knew, deep in her heart that she would never.

**END**

A parcel landed in front of her. "Gifts from Lucas and I," Mentor said. "Open it."

"Thank you!!!!!" Elise gasped and grabbed the present. Opening the package, she saw a pair of silver gloves and a small rectangular device. The gloves, when Elise picked it up seemed to be made of some sort of fine mesh.

"The gloves are designed with your quirk in mind," Lucas said. "The fine mesh keeps you warm in cold condition and minimizes sweat. It also improves your grip with the Pokéballs. The slits on the palm are discreet and gives for when you need to summon Pokéballs."

Putting on the gloves, Elise flexed her hands. They fitted perfectly. Flipping her hand over, she tried summoning an empty Pokéball and watched as it formed. "Woah..." Taking them off, Elise picked up the phone like device. It was a shiny black thing with blue accents and looked like a more rectangular phone with some sort of panel over the screen.

"And that there is what I call a Pokédex. A device that can be used to identify and classify Pokémons. It can help you detect nearby Pokémons too." Mentor explained

Elise beamed. "It matches my hero outfit!"

Mentor laughed. "Yes, it does. It was meant to be a gift for you later but Lucas told me of the recent developments so I managed to piece this together just in time. It can be activated using your voice or your fingerprints on the little button in the front."

Feeling the glossy finish, Elise flipped it over and put her thumb against the circular button in the front. The covering folded back and the black screen lit up with blue. A feminine mechanical voice issued from the Pokédex along with white letters. "Welcome User Elise."

Mentor leaned over and pointed to a little Pokéball in the upper left corner. "That's the guide, it shows the types of Pokémons and their classification. There's very little there so far, but the guide will update itself the more you use it." Then he pointed to the camera on the opposite side and said, "That's to identify Pokémons you encounter. Try it."

Elise opened the camera and pointed it at a nearby Pokémon. "New Pokémon added: Pigeot."

With wide eyes, Elise looked at her uncle. "Th-this is amazing, thank you so much!" she gushed.

Mentor smiled gently. "I'm immensely proud of you. Know that we will be there for you, whatever you do."

***

Collapsing on her soft bed, Elise let out a giddy smile. Her phone lit up with notifications from her friends.

The Three Musketeers

AtomicBlonde: Results came in, you extras better have made it into the hero course or I will personally come to your house and beat you up.

Ohhh scary. Good luck getting through the door.

AtomicBlonde: I WILL DO IT DON'T YOU TEST ME SHORT FUCK!

I'M TESTING YOU RIGHT NOW.

AND I'M 5'2

AtomicBlonde: SHORTER THAN US.

Machamp: Relax you two, I'm pretty sure we all got in the same class

You're right! What class did you get into? I got into the hero course!

Elise cringed, was that too much? What if they thought that she was bragging? Before she could overthink it too much her phone dinged.

AtomicBlonde: Obviously, I got into the hero course, what else?

Machamp: Looks like we're all in the same class then.

Elise smiled and hugged a stuffed animal closer. Oh good! I won't be alone then!

Bidding her friends good night, Elise shut off her phone and smiled at the dark ceiling.
"Cheers to a new chapter, boys. Goodnight."

Goodnight Elise!

Sleep well.

A/n: Double Wammy since the chapters are short. I hope you're taking care of yourself!