73: Powers of What Which We Yield

"Ready, Blaziken?"

Her companion gave her a nod and a grunt of affirmation.

Elise took a measured breath and extended a hand as she focused. Then she jerked it to her as she clenched her fingers closed, feeling the now telltale and familiar feeling of the pull in her chest before Blaziken blinked out and reappeared in front of her. A success. Elise sighed and dropped her arm, slouching from her readied stance.

"Does everything feel okay? Are you hurting?" she asked, scanning over her companion for anything wrong.

"Nope, all intact." Blaziken ruffled her hair. "Good job, kid."

A pleased emotion filled her as she glanced at Aizawa and Recovery Girl observing her on the sidelines. "Everything deems to be making good progress," the medic decided. "I don't like it, but if you decide to go through with participating in the exam, then you should be just healed enough."

"Thank you, Recovery-sama."

"I know you've been working on your second quirk in your off time, so I have some questions," Aizawa said. "Does it work on other objects? What's its range? As you learn more and more about it, it is also important that Recovery Girl and I know too so we can help if problems arise."

"Yes, sensei," Elise agreed distractedly, forming a Pokéball as she tossed it up into the air. With much more ease than at the beginning of the week, she was able to teleport it from the air into her other waiting hand. Even before she was made aware that it was a second quirk, she'd been working with it already. Knowing what it was only pushed her to work with it more in recent days. "As of right now, I can only use it on Pokémons and Pokéballs. It didn't work with anything else. I haven't tested the range yet, but I've been able to use it as long as I can see who or what I'm teleporting."

"The second quirk might've adapted to yours," Recovery Girl theorized as she took note of it. "Becoming a complementary support. Maybe it's your body's countermeasure to prevent the overload of two quirks."

A thought she couldn't control popped into her head. Because overloading means death.

"Does that matter right now?" Blaziken asked, with all the grace of a bull in a china shop as he smashed through her dark thoughts. "All that matters is Elise learning to work with it, and it not hurting her."

"You're not incorrect," Aizawa agreed. He raised an open hand by his head. "We're getting off track. Wing, why don't you try sending a Pokéball to my hand?"

Her response was accidentally nailing the poor man in the face as her control slipped.

***

I wonder when the summer season will end. Elise mused as she quietly traversed the paths amongst the buildings. Rubbing her hands together, the girl stopped and took a moment to allow the warmth to soak into her cold body. I'll miss the heat though.

Have you talked with Recovery Girl about your temperature circulation lately?

Hearing another person coming up behind her, Elise set off again. Yeah. She believes it's also another preventative measure. To adjust for how much heat gets produced when I use my quirk. Quirks.

But Elise held back just how cold she felt on her bad day. On nights spent locked into place, feeling like frost was creeping up from her limbs. But now, in the sun's embrace, the chill was just a barely lingering irritation as she psyched herself up to chase the rest of it away. Her destination was at hand, one of the few gyms nearer to the dorms and meant for recreational training than the large class-mandated ones. It was empty as she slipped in, just like she predicted. Elise stood in the middle, for a moment feeling swallowed up by the silence of the space encompassing her.