36: Meetings on the Streets

"You will be going on two patrols today," Madara told Elise. "One will be after this and the other later on tonight."

They were seated in his small personal office just off from Madara's main office. It was her and Hakuro, seated around Madara's desk facing him. He had a hologram of a section of Hosu pulled up with a yellow line outlining the patrol path. "Hakuro will be with us on our night patrol since we'll be going down the busiest section during that point of the day. It should just be a minor thing, and the worst things we should potentially have are petty crimes. In the case of anything big, Wing, you stick with Hakuro and we'll go from there."

"Yes, sir." Both of them chimed.

Madara nodded and dismissed them. "Good. Hakuro, you have your business, you know what to do. Wing, get ready, we'll meet and set off for our patrol in thirty minutes."

Elise nodded and with the dismissal, she strolled out of the room with Hakuro, heading to the elevators.

"I'll see you later, tyke!" The sidekick called as they split off from her. With a wave of her hands and a farewell, they turned around and jogged off, tripping on the carpet once before they rounded the corner out of view.

Well, time to get a taste of hero work.

It didn't take Elise long to reach her room and change into her hero outfit. Before she left, she paused on the threshold of the room before dashing back to grab a small object from her backpack and hooked it onto a belt loop on her costume. The little penguin plush keychain was something she was very proud of, and Elise thought that maybe including it was a personal touch to her costume.

After the little interruption, Elise had no trouble making her way to the front. Madara was already waiting, slapping a cufflink communicator onto his wrist. He pressed a few buttons before a hologram popped up. Madara swiped through it before flicking his wrist and dismissing the hologram. He looked up at Elise and handed her a solid black wristband with a space to put something in. "This is for your pager. It fits in that area. We can talk through it if trouble arises."

"Thank you, sir!"

So much for the earpiece attachment. Elise inwardly chuckled. Hopefully, the thing would have its use soon, and it would pay off for her having to peel the painful tape off her nape every time.

Madara waited for her to finish attaching the pager and putting the wristband on. "Ready to go?"

Elise joined his side, adjusting her belt and smoothing out her costume. "Yes sir!"

She fell in step with the hero as he set off, hands behind his back. They headed down a busy street and it remained quiet between them before Madara spoke. "Wing, how well do your Pokémons do with crowds?"

Straightening up in surprise at being addressed, Elise replied, "They're all mostly fine with crowded areas, sir. As long as they don't get overwhelmed or anything but even then they all know how to handle themselves and I can step in if necessary."

"Good, good," Madara said. He seemed to mull over something before saying, "If you feel comfortable with it, you have my full permission to bring one out right now for our patrol."

Elise blinked at him. "Are—Are you sure sensei?"

Madara glanced at her sharply from behind his mask. "When you're a hero, appearances are very important. It's good to start young. People can get used to it more."

"A-Ah of course," Elise said.

"Don't worry," Madara assured. "If anybody has problems with it, I'll help you deal with them."