57: In Doubt, Believers

In the wake of the villains' departure, order finally came back to the camp. Flames extinguished by emergency services and ambulances to take away the injured. Of the forty students, fifteen were unconscious and in serious condition from the villains' gas and eleven others had major or minor injuries. Thirteen were uninjured.

Two were missing.

Of the six pro-heroes, one was in serious condition after receiving a harsh blow to the head and only the blood and helmet fragment of another's was found. On the villain's side, three were caught and arrested, left behind by their accomplices. It was the worst outcome.

The next day saw the press swarming the gates of U.A. News had gotten out about the attack and the subsequent taking of the two students and speculations floated online. Katsuki Bakugou, taken perhaps of his attitude. His violent side was common knowledge after the sports festival after all. Who would be a better match to be a villain than him? Then Elise Wing, her quirk still a controversy among so many. Though without the nasty temper that her friend had, maybe she was hiding her true nature underneath all that. Would it be wrong to say that Pokémons were inherently bad then? Everyone's heard of this creature or that one creating havoc, so it wouldn't be a stretch.

However, for those that questioned, there were those that held unflinching faith in the taken.

"I know that brat," Mitsuki Bakugou said, sitting with her husband as they faced Mentor over lukewarm cups of tea. "He'd spit in their faces if they tried to convince him to their cause. And your kid's with him. They'll both be fine."

"With that said," Masaru Bakugou continued. "We'll all be here to support you and Lucas, Jossan. Even the Shoji family sends their regards and apologies that they weren't able to meet up in time."

Mentor nodded somberly. "Thank you to you all. Lucas's taking it the hardest out of the two of us. That boy had always looked out for his sister, and to have her gone like this..."

"I understand..." Mitsuki sighed. "Though I'm grateful that their friend was not taken, I'm hoping that he isn't blaming himself about that too much either..."

***

Gathered around the beds of their green-haired classmate, those that were able to come to visit Midoriya mulled over the absence of Bakugou and Elise.

"All Might said 'I can't save the people I can't reach'. That's why he will always save those he can reach. I... was at a place where I could reach... I had to save him. That's what my quirk is for..." Midoriya's voice was thick with tears and shame. "But in the end, Wing had to do it for me. And she was taken away too, as a result of that. It's exactly like what Aizawa-sensei told me. My body wouldn't move. I couldn't even save someone in front of me."

Shoji's voice was calm as he spoke up. "Then, let's save them this time."

Startled exclamations rose from the more vocal students. However, Kirishima immediately agreed. "Todoroki and I were here yesterday. On the way to your room, we saw All Might and a police officer talking to Yaoyorozu. She handed them a receiver, saying that it would be able to detect a Nomu that she and another student put a tracker on."

"Are you saying you're going to have Yaoyorozu make another receiver?" Iida confronted.

Kirishima dipped his head, strong expression straying into a nervous look at the class president's words.

"What if it does?" Todoroki countered.

Anger began to grow on the blue-haired boy's face before he shot back, "It's like All Might said! This is something we should leave to the pros! This isn't the place for us to act, you idiots!"