72: What's the Prognosis, Doc?

The License Exam was going to happen at the end of the week. And Elise was tired. Daytime came with rigorous training and nighttime came with dark terrors when she didn't find the time to sneak out to practice.

Nerves were at an all-time high, and so was excitement, with more sprained muscles and petty squabbles than ever before. Denki had blown the fuse of the dorm rooms at least twice now, and many a time Elise had to call for Aizawa to catch Uraraka as she floated out of her window when sleeping. Thankfully the man never asked her what she was doing up, his hands full with the others, and didn't get the time to pry. The last straw was when Mina nearly melted through the training mats, a rookie mistake that would've been common at the beginning of the year, but not now. That was enough for Aizawa to suspend training that day and declare that if the class couldn't calm down, then nobody would be able to take the exam.

But soon, everything was back to the rush and crunch of preparation

"Wing."

Elise stopped, immediately knowing exactly what was going to occur.

"Doctor's visit."

Bakugou shot Aizawa an incredulous look. "Again? She's been having a shitload of them."

"Important one today," the dark-haired man said not breaking his stride. "The last one before you all head in for the exam."

The blonde was about to reply until Aizawa's quirk activated with a flash.

"Is there a problem, Bakugou?"

"No." Katsuki clenched his teeth and sent a look Elise's way. "Be careful, alright?"

She nodded, patting him on the arm and nudging him to go ahead. With some hesitance, the boy did just that, joining Mezo and Tokoyami who had paused to wait. Once again, Elise found herself accompanied by Aizawa away from her classmates, away from another day of training. This time, instead of heading up to Recovery Girl's office he steered her down and out into the foyer.

"As I said, today's not a regular checkup. I've called your family so we're heading to the hospital where the doctor who treated you is residing."

The doors to the entrance opened and they were greeted by Recovery Girl joining them, hauling a medicine bag in the hand not occupied by her cane. Aizawa deftly took it out of the lady's hand and they made their way down and out of the school gates and into a waiting car, where her teacher got in to drive.

"We're going to the hospital to let them run more thorough tests today, dearie," Recovery Girl said from her place in the passenger seat. "Nothing invasive, but I need to see if my hunch is correct."

Aizawa glanced at her through the rearview mirror. "You'll also have to make some decisions. I'll tell you more after we get your results."

The cryptid message did nothing but drive her concerns higher, but Elise forced herself to suppress it. She trusted Aizawa enough to hold back her questions, no matter how much they ate at her.

***

"We're here."

The girl blinked, disoriented as she snapped out of her reverie. Looking out of the window showed the familiar face of the hospital building and she let out a noiseless sigh as she exited.

"Elise!"

The familiar voice made her jump as she twisted around. Her uncle's smile greeted her as he approached. The ache of not seeing her family for the past few weeks slammed into her chest, making her breath catch. Aizawa's knowing look and a nod was enough for her to bolt to Mentor, falling into his open arms.