4:Code for Sex?

"Gracie, you still there?" Mickey's voice haltered my daydreaming and brought me back to reality. Where was I?

Oh. The flower shop.

"Yep. Thanks for calling. I'll see you at lunch." I hang up. Suddenly needing a second cold shower. I rolled and flexed my muscles. Get your head in the game and open up the store, Grace. Not imagining a woman you'll probably never meet again in your entire straight life. The bell rings and the glass door opened for Violet. My trusted employee. And her boyfriend James, hot in her heels. She giggles as she pulls him for a kiss. That turned into a mini make-out session. Ah, young love. What must that, feel like. "Morning, boss Grace. You look radiant today." Violet glanced in my direction. I smile at her usual greetings. Sometimes it's gorgeous, sometimes it's beautiful. Today was radiant. "Hey, Ms. Jones," James said to me. I quirked an eyebrow at him and he relaxed. "Hey, Grace." He corrected. "There you go." I smile back at him.

"I've got the bouquet for your sister's birthday."

"Oh, good. She's not the flowery type of gal. I just do this to mess with her because that's how much I love her." Violet fixes herself in front of her compact mirror. "Even when she stole your girlfriend?" She says as a matter of fact. "Ex, girlfriend," James said back. "Which I'm glad because now I have you." Another kiss. "Alright, you two." I handed James the flowers he ordered. "Give Mia my kiss, will you?" He nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

The rest of the day flowed by quickly. As buyers after buyers came in and out of the shop. Helping them find the right arrangements for them. "Mr. Robinson. Right on time." The old man trotted down in his cane for his daily bouquet of tulips for his wife. "Thank you, Grace. Mary will appreciate it." He smiles warmly. "Tell her thank you for the lasagna that she sent. And if you could snag her secret recipe." I winked at him. He laughs wholeheartedly. "She says she'll take it to her grave."

"You going to be okay alone here, V? Rick just texted me. Says he's going to be a bit late. I'd stay a little longer but I have to meet Mickey in like 10 minutes." She hopped behind the counter. "Go on with your weekly lunches. I got this. And tell her to come by. I miss Mickey."

"I'll sure to let her know that." I blew her a kiss before stepping outside the shop for the first time that day.

"Ugh. I honestly don't know how to handle Candice anymore. If only I could fire her." Mickey pouted and looks frustrated as ever. Even in her elegant business suit and short dark hair. "So do it. Be the badass boss those people have never seen." I replied as I finish my meal. She sighs loudly I think the other table felt her breath. "It's not that easy, G. I mean how would you feel if you had to let go Violet." I thought about that carefully and shook my head. "No. That would never happen. Violet is always on time. Loves her job. And I happen to like that perky kid. Plus she misses you. Come down the store sometime." She dabs the corner of her mouth. "You know I've been planning to. But I'm just so cramped at work. Especially when I have to undo all the damages Candice has been making. Which I have to get back into in half an hour." She rolled her eyes vehemently when she checked the time from her phone.

And I honestly feel bad. She's got a lot on her plate right now. "Hey, cheer up, Mickey." I reached for her hand on the table and gave it a squeeze. "You know what would make me feel better?" She asked. "A night out. I'd kill to go out tonight." But then she deflated right at 1.0 second. "If I could just find the fucking time-"

"Okay, alright, alright. Hey. Calm down. You're stressing yourself. Jesus, look at you. How about we go out next week? Are you at all free then?" I asked. "I've got two potential client meetings and a pile of paperwork. Plus some unanswered emails I need to take care of." I frowned. "So that's a no, then. Don't people in advertising ever rest?" She sat back in her chair. "More client just means more business. Which is good and bad. I'm afraid I have to fire Candice within this week. Then I have to look over some resumes to fill in her positi-. You know what. We've wasted my 30 minutes already. And besides, aren't you spending the week with Josh?" She arched a playful eyebrow and her brown eyes twinkled.

I smiled at the thought of Josh. "Yeah.. two weeks to be exact. Before he's swept away by his company for another project on the other side of the country. But I'll make sure we spent those times together sweetly." She leaned in. "Is that code for sex?" She gasped. "I haven't been getting any action for months now that I've forgotten all the signs and signals." I laughed. "I don't mean that! Well, maybe? I mean I'm hoping. This lady has needs" I crossed my fingers.