28: Just The Two of Us

"Could we get a menu here, please?" Elena raised her hand. "I am starving. And this is the best tavern in this place. If not the whole world."

"Ay, Elena! Ikaw ba yan?" A woman, probably in her 80's came to our table. "Hello, lola Erly. Kamusta na?" They hugged. The older woman smiled warmly. "This is my good friend, Grace." I offered a hand. "Aba, maganda ha. Friend lang nga ba?" She took my hand and pulled me into a hug. Oh, she's one big hugger. "This is lola Erly. She took care of me and my brothers and sisters when we were babies." She made introductions. "And now look at this place, huh? Still my favorite."

"My ija is all grown up." Elena laughs half-heartedly. I don't think I've ever seen her this happy and relaxed. "We'll take the usual, lola." She said. "Of course, ija. Ikaw pa." And with that, she was gone. "I didn't know you speak Tagalog."

"Yeah, well.. one of the many things you don't know about me. And by the way, I'm buying." Before I could protest on the bill she stood up. "I'm gonna put on some music." She stood on two gigantic speakers in the corner of the place. "Oy, Joe! Pa-play ako music ah?"

"Ge lang, ate Na!" A teenage voice came from the kitchen outback. I'm guessing that's Joe. When the music played, the lights went dim. What is this place? Elena came back to our table. "Yazoo, huh?"

"You know this?"

"Yeah."

"This is my jam. My lady jam." Is she drunk right now? Joe came up to our table. "Here you go. Isang sinigang na baboy at pritong tilapia!" An unfamiliar but appetizing dish is served right in front of me. With soy sauce and onion on the side. Along with fresh tomatoes and iced tea. "Oh wow. I can't wait to dig in. Maraming salamat, Joe." He and Elena looked at each other. "Ge, enjoy!" He left as soon as another customer is in need of assistance. "So you know Tagalog." Elena teased. "A little. Surprised?" She didn't answer and we just stared at each other. "What? Come on. Dig in." And dig, we did.

"That was the most delicious meal I have ever had lately," I said to Elena when I finished my bowl. "Well, I hope you're not that full yet. Gotta have some room for lola Erly's leche flan." I looked at her with a wide eye. "You're kidding. I love leche flan!" Grover Washiton's "Just The Two of Us" started playing from the speakers. "And this song, too!"

"You do?"

"Come on. Dance with me." I stood up. Elena looked around. "In here?" She whispered. "Yeah. Come on."

"I don't do well in dancing. I didn't even dance at my own prom in high school. And I was prom Queen." I took my sunflower patterned scrunchie and offered it to her. "Of course, you were. "Let's see what you got, Prom Queen." She took a quick gulp of her water. "Don't call me that." She stood up. Yes! "I think I just did." We held hands as I put my scrunchie in her wrist. "That would be the last time."

"Prom Queen."

"Stop it."

"Make me." She took one step forward. Which made me stumble backward. She caught me with her hands on my waist. Oh God, there goes the butterflies again. Stop it! "I thought you're good at dancing?" She asked while placing my hand on hers. We held each other's body. And gaze. "I never said that." Her hips started swaying and I swayed with her. I like Elena with her killer heels. But with flat shoes, she seemed to be just an inch taller than me. Which is nice.. accessible. She twirled me around which made me smile and the flutter in my stomach wasn't helping. "I thought you don't do well with dancing?"

"I learned a few when I was studying in college."

"Where?"

"With my landlord's daughter." Okay, that made me laugh. Another twirl. She kept our hands in her chest. Oh, what a lovely moment to hold on to. A pregnant woman and probably her husband joined us in the dancing. So did lola Erly and Joe. I definitely won't forget this moment.

The music's tempo slowed. John Mclaughlin's So Close played and the lights went dim around us. Couples were suddenly close to each other and everything was a blur. This isn't Enchanted, Grace. Wake the hell up. And yet there she was. Elena. And all I wanted is to take her in my arms. And so I did. I felt her other hand on the back of my waist as she pulls me in. I inhaled. She's so close. It's perfect.

"You're not so bad yourself, Jones," Elena whispered in my ear. "I'm no prom queen. But I do have some moves." I said. "I know you do." She gives me a slight twirl and now our aces are even closer. I wouldn't wanna be anywhere in the world right now than being here with Elena. Damn, how many times have I said that today? But then.. something magical happened. When I thought this couldn't have been more perfect, she sings. In my ear. "Now you're beside me, and look how far we've come.." She twirled me again. And held me tight.'So far.. we are so close."