45: I Crave for you, Elena.

"You're wearing that to the engagement party?" Mickey said when I opened my door and she's standing on my porch. "What engagement party?" I asked.

"Are you watching Grey's Anatomy again?" Mickey said looking up and down at me with those huge sunglasses. "How do you know that?"

"You're wearing sweat pants and you smell like popcorn and soda." She observed. Again. Stating the obvious. "We have a little time, go change. Right, this second. I'll give you 10 minutes."

"Excuse me, but you wanna tell me where we're going and why you're interrupting my surgery?"

"Oh, shut up. You're not Merideth Grey."

"Mia and Lauren's. Did you forget?" Violet said. "Oh.. hi there."

"Mickey picked me up. And now we're here to pick you up." They let themselves in. "Ohh Lauren and Mia's. Of course." Damn, I don't feel like myself lately.

"Now go change. Chop chop."

"Jesus. Stop bossing me around, will you?"

"Get upstairs and wear something cute that's not in the shade of gray. Vi, don't eat that."

"Why not?" Violet said. "That's Grace's personal Nutella." She quickly put the jar down on the coffee table.

"Hi. Listen, I completely zoned out on my calendar. I forgot tonight was your party. I didn't get you anything." I kissed Mia on the cheeks. "Oh, that's no problem at all! Help yourselves. There's booze and everything." Wow. Their house is nice. Being an author pays more than bills. And now Mia owns a very successful coffee shop. These two are definitely all set for marriage. I wonder how mine's going to be.

"Hey there, sport. Having fun?" Mickey found me and gave me a bottle of beer. "No thanks. I'm still on my first and completely miserable. We're older than these two yet they're getting married. When is it going to be our turn? Huh? Am I going to be single forever?"

"Are you?"

"Well, I might as well be since it seemed like I messed things up with Elena."

"Grace-"

"No, because I miss her. I terribly miss her."

"Gracey-"

"Now she's with this really pretty woman and why did I have to go out with her son, huh??"

"Gracey!" I finally looked at Mickey and she was looking over behind me. I looked back to see Elena standing there. How many times would I say such things and she's right fucking behind me!!? I need to learn how to shut up.

I.. I don't know what to say. I'm literally at a loss for words. "Michaela. Green." Mickey saved the day by breaking this intense ice-cold air. "I don't think we've officially met. I'm Grace's best friend and most trusted confidant." She winks. Indicating that she knows about our little affair. Elena smiles brightly and my legs turned Jell-O. They shook hands. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Elena. Grace's.." She looks at me. It seemed like I'm not the only one unsure of our.. status. "You're her ex-boyfriend's mother!" Mickey said loudly. How many beers have this girl taken? "Mickey. Are you drunk?" I asked. "No." She says. She's not but she's on her way there. "Well, why don't you go over there and get more drinks."

"Mkayy." And with that, she took off. Leaving me and Elena all alone in a crowd of women who I'm pretty sure are all lesbians. This is a lesbian engagement party after all. I looked around the house full of women to see if I'm attracted to any of them. But the answer is very clear. I'm only attracted to one. "So how did you know the couple?" I started. "You remember my friend, Mallory? She's Lauren's book publisher. Plus those two were a former students of mine."
"Oh, that's right. Kenyon College."
"Yeah."
She wore white pants partnered with a white blazer. Her hair is tucked in a nice bun revealing her long neck.. "So did you uh, come here alone?" I said and drank from my bottle. Trying to distract myself from her.. neck?. "You wanted to know if I'm seeing someone right now, don't you?" I choked on the beer. Fuck, it stings! "I just.. assumed. The other day at the coffee shop-"

"Why are you always assuming, Grace? Are you jealous?"

"Ppff I'm not jeal- is she? Are you?" Way to be cool on things, Grace. "She's just a friend." She says. Ahh.. with benefits? We both watch out in the pool. It seems Mickey and that Sarah girl is getting along pretty well. And she just parked right outside drunk town dancing like that. Would it be weird if I ask about Josh? "How is Josh?" Why am I so bold tonight? "He's doing pretty good. Happy, actually. It took a while but he finally came out to me and his dad."

"What do you mean took a while?" I asked. Curiously. "We kind of knew he was gay since he was a teenager." I gave her a little nudge on the shoulders. "And you didn't warn me? I am hurt, Elena! Hurt!" She laughs and it ached my heart. "I thought you'd figure that out. You didn't see the signs?" Now that I think about it.. There were lots of signs. A lot. "Well, how was I supposed to know that? I don't sense these things. I don't have like a.. gaydar thing. I'm not ga-" Elena looks at me with mischievous eyes. Yeah, there's no denying it. Another gulp of beer. "So you're single.." And I'm single. At a lesbian party. Jesus, it is getting hot in here. "I am. And would you like to-" She looks down at her feet. Is she gonna ask me out? I swear to God if she asks me out I'm going to die. "If you have time maybe we could.."

"Mickey!" Our heads turn when we heard a loud splash and Mickey's in the pool. Goddamn it, that girl doesn't know how to swim! I rushed outside only to be taken by surprise when Sarah took her leather jacket off and dived into the pool to save her.

Mickey was out of the water. "Stand back," Sarah said and laid her on the floor. She checked her breathing. Is there any?? She then proceeds to give her CPR. "Mickey you dumb shit-" Sarah was about to go for a mouth to mouth when Mickey gaped for air. Oh, thank God.

"Where's my beer? I went to the pool to get it.. oh hi, Lesbians!" Was her first response with hiccups in between the words. She looked down at Sarah's chest who was kneeling beside her. "Woah. I've never touched another woman's breasts before, can I.."

"Okay, up you go." I pulled her up and she rested her soaking, heavy body on me. "Gracey.. I touched your breasts when we were in high school. Remember you wanted it to look huge for that Oscar guy and-"

"YOU KNOW WHAT- why don't we head home." I found Lauren and Mia in the pool of lesbians. No pun intended. "I'm so sorry we had to ruin your party."

"No, no you definitely brought the fun to our party," Lauren said smiling while Mia laughed. "It's the best part." She commented. All fun and games until you take care of this one. "Let me help you to your car." Elena. That's right. The three of us walked slowly to Mickey's car. "You know what, her car is voice-activated. Let's take mine."

"That's.. very futuristic." She says. "Tell me about it. So.. you were asking something. Before Mickey embarrassed herself." I said once I set Mickey's damp body on the back seat. She's out as an owl in the daytime. "Right. That." She bites her lips and I saw a freckle of bright red on her cheeks under the moonlight. "Never mind. It's- it's nothing. You two drive safe." She turns and walks away. "Don't let her walk away," Mickey whispers. Her eyes are still closed. "Go get your hot, lesbian Elena, Meredith Grey." At this point, I'm not sure if she's dreaming or delusional. "Elena!" I chased after her. "Actually, I need your help with something."

"Is Mickey okay? Do you need me to drive? I'll just find Mallory and say goodbye to Lauren-"

"No, no you should stay and enjoy the rest of your evening. I just.. Well, I forgot to bring the couple a gift and." Great. Now I can't feel my legs. "I was wondering.."

"Yes?" Elena walked slowly towards me. Gulp. "If you could um teach me how to make that matcha cake you made before?" Smooth. "The two have a really sweet tooth. I just know they'd love that. I'll- I'll pay of course." That is a dumb idea. "That is a great idea. We can tell them it's from ours."

"Ou-ours?" I stuttered. My brain. Where, what? "Don't you want to?" She takes another step. Closer to me than ever before. A gift from both of us? That's like skipping 10 steps! We're not even dating- yet. Just shut up and accept it. "Sur- yes. Absolutely." She smiles and all my nerves calmed down. She has a way of doing that to me. "My place. Friday. 10 o'clock."

"Your place?"

"Do you have an oven?"

"No.."

"My place it is, then. Good night, Grace." Her lips lightly and very very slowly touched my cheek. It took all the power in me to not pull her in for more because I crave for you, Elena.