[48] Gratitude

Senka frowns, shutting her eyes even tighter than before. 

Ryu glances at her through the corner of his eye, sighing. "What's up with you this time, Senka?" He leans down to meet her gaze and swiftly flicks her forehead.

"Oww– hey!!" Senka shot her eyes open, shielding her forehead with her hands. "I was checking on my Wandering Eyes, you idiot!"

"For what? The hundredth time this second?  At least take some breaks in between," Ryu argues back.

An irk mark appears on Senka's forehead. "Well, you're one to talk! You've been all fidgety since last night! You even forgot to eat dinner again, haven't you?"

Ryu flinches. "Well, we did find some interesting leads, so of course I've been fidgety–"

"You're even wearing your hoodie inside out." Senka sighs. "Sheesh, you can be such a kid sometimes." Her lips twist upwards into a smug smirk.

Ryu frantically checks his hoodie, only to see that it really is inside out. "Whatever..." he mumbles, taking it off and putting it back on the right way. "Well, did you find anything at least?" 

Senka looks down, turning her smirk upside down as she slumps her shoulders. "Still nothing." She sighs in irritation. "I haven't seen anyone enter the warehouse since we went there! What's going on?" 

"There you go, getting impatient again." Ryu shoves his hands into his pockets. "You know how Sanguis is."

"Well yeah, but–"

"Not like I'm expecting you to actually calm down and wait. You've always been bad at that." 

Another irk mark appears on Senka's forehead as she grabs Ryu by the ear. "Ow! Hey, don't treat me like a kid!" He tries to free himself from her grip.

"Shut up! Let's go and meet the others!" 

_ _ _

You, Killua, and Alluka were sitting at a table outside the same cafe as last time. Sipping on your favorite drink, you stole a few glances at Killua as he sipped his hot chocolate.

"...What?" Killua raised a brow, putting his drink down and pushing it slightly away from you. "I'm not letting you have any, you know?" He furrowed his brows cautiously at you. 

You blinked twice. "Huh? No, I wasn't thinking that!" Letting out a deep sigh, you took another sip of your drink as you averted your eyes. "I just wanted to say..." 

Killua tilted his head. Even Alluka peered on in curiosity. "Just wanted to say what?" he asked.

Your cheeks were unusually red. "I slept really well last night!" you blurted out.

'Huh?'  Killua was reminded once more of your peaceful sleeping face and the feeling of your soft cheeks. 

"S-So I really appreciate you staying with me–" 

"–It's fine, it's fine, (Y/N)!" Killua's cheeks flushed bright red just like yours. 'Crap, now I can't get her sleeping face out of my mind!'

"But–"

"Onii-chan, what is Onee-chan saying? Weren't you with me the entire time?" Alluka tilted her head, brows furrowed together in confusion.

A few moments of silence pass by between you. Only the chatter of other people and the slight rustling of leaves could be heard. 

Eventually, you cleared your throat, as if trying to calm down your loudly beating heart. "W-Well, you see, Alluka," you began, casting a side glance at Killua, who looked slightly relieved. "Last night, I kinda had a bad dream. Killua was up during that time and he noticed something was off, so... he woke me up and calmed me down..."   

Alluka's eyes widened in realization, as her mouth formed a small 'o' shape. "What kind of dream did you have, Onee-chan?" 

"It's..." you look down at your drink, trying to remember what you saw once more. There was nothing. "I don't really remember, I just know it freaked me out somehow!" You glanced at Killua once more, giving him a small, grateful smile. 

"Ohh..." Alluka nodded in understanding as she looked at you and Killua. Suddenly, she jumped in her seat in realization. It was as if something clicked in her mind. "Ah! I'm gonna go get myself another drink, Onii-chan! I'll be right back!" She gave you both a thumbs up and a knowing smile, before getting off her seat and quickly running inside the cafe. 

"Huh?! Alluka, come back!" Killua reached an arm out a moment too late. She was already gone. "Geez, what is she up to this time?" 

You stared at her back as she hurried inside the cafe.'Hmm... is it just me or does she know something I don't...?' you thought to yourself, before shaking your head and looking down at your unfinished drink.  

Killua gazed at your difficult expression from the corner of his eye, before letting out a deep sigh. "Look, it really wasn't a big deal, you idiot." 

You whipped your head up to look at him. "Well... I kinda feel bad when I asked you all of a sudden, but at the same time I really appreciated it, so..." You paused, averting your gaze once more. Slowly, you picked up your drink, holding it out to him. "Have some of mine!" 

"Huh?" 

"I'll stop making a big fuss about it! So please!" You pushed it closer to him. 

Killua stared at your favorite drink, then at you. Despite your face still being slightly flushed, your eyes were shining, as if telling him to accept it. 

He averted his gaze, looking at his hot chocolate. "Look, if this is your way of thanking me, you don't have to–"

"I know, but..." you look down. "I know that I don't have to thank you, but I still think you deserve it! I mean, you always look out for me, and you're just... a-an amazing person." You instinctively looked away from him, but you weren't sure why. 

Killua stares at you once more. His was completely wide-eyed, and his shoulders stiffened. "Y-You... (Y/N)..." He tries to form a complete sentence, but to no avail. Eventually, he just takes your drink, taking a long sip from it. "Y-You idiot. Fine then..." he says, looking away as his face reddens even more.  

You smiled in relief, until Killua gives you his own hot chocolate. "You have some of mine, too." He gave you a stern glare for some reason. 

You tilted your head in confusion. "I thought you wouldn't let me have any?" 

Killua flinched for a bit. "W-Well, now I want you to have some, so drink!" he faced himself away from you again. 

You couldn't help but let out a slight giggle, as you drank some of his hot chocolate. "Tastes good!" you smiled, watching Killua enjoy your own drink, even though he didn't admit it. 

 After a few moments of comfortable silence, you hear Alluka's cheerful voice from behind you. "Ah! Ryu and Senka! You're here!!" She exclaims, running all the way from the cafe's entrance to the two Bounty Hunters.

You and Killua shared a look, before nodding and waiting for the Hunters to take a seat at the table.