[73] Break

Alluka flinches, hearing a sudden thumping sound near her room. She immediately shot her eyes open, bolting up from bed and looking around.  

The room is empty, and sunlight just started seeping through the cracks around the door. 

Thump. It was that sound again. It was quieter than she thought, but she wasn't sure what it was. It couldn't have been Illumi, since he never checks on her this early. 

'Could it be Onee-chan...?' She narrows her eyes, scanning the room vigilantly. 

Thump. Alluka looks up at the ceiling around the center of the room... it looks like it was coming from above. 

As she cautiously kept watch, it didn't take long for a small crack to form on the ceiling. Dust and debris fell to the ground, almost making Alluka yelp in surprise. 

'What's... happening?!' Thoughts were racing through her mind as she got into a defensive stance. 

More particles of dust and debris settled on the ground little by little, causing a hole to form on the ceiling big enough for a person to fit through.

...and sure enough, a person did go through the newly-formed hole in the ceiling. They landed on the ground with a soft thud, careful not to garner too much attention from the people outside. 

The mysterious person immediately faced Alluka, holding a finger to their lips. 

Alluka's eyes widened in recognition. "You...!"

"Shhh..." they whispered. "Hi, Alluka...! Let's get you out of here before they notice, okay?" they smiled as they winked. 

Alluka wasn't sure if the clanking sound of her shackle would remain unnoticed by Illumi. She wasn't even sure how this person got in. It was dawn and extremely quiet around the warehouse. 

...at least that's what she thought. 

As the person tried to unlock the shackle, Alluka slowly turned her head towards the door. Much more light was seeping in through the cracks now, but she heard something that definitely wasn't there before. 

It was the sound of fighting. 

_____________________

--The previous night--

You looked out one of the warehouse's windows, scanning your eyes around the forest. For some reason, your brother refused to let you leave the building today, insisting that it was 'unsafe' and such. 

But you knew. You knew that he was starting to doubt you, just like how you were starting to doubt him. 

"This isn't right," you mumbled.  

You leaned closer to the window until your forehead was touching the dusty glass. It was suffocating staying in this old warehouse all day, and although the forest was dark, it was way better than staying in a place like this–

"What are you doing, (Y/N)?" a familiar voice called from behind. 

You immediately turned to face your brother, stepping away from the window. "H-Hi Nii-chan... I was just–"  

He subtly narrowed his eyes at you, walking closer and grabbing your hand. "It's getting late. You should sleep," he states, pulling you along to another part of the warehouse.

'Ow!!' You bit your lip, stopping yourself from crying out in pain. "U-Uh... Nii-chan?" 

Sanguis looked at you through the corner of his eye, waiting for you to speak.