[3] Distance

"Really?? (Y/N) is coming with us?!" Alluka squealed in delight after Killua broke the news to her the next morning in the inn they were staying.

"Yeah," he simply said, patting Alluka's head.

Standing a good distance from them, you looked at them awkwardly. "I-- uhh, thanks a lot for letting me come with you guys," you say shyly, looking down at the floor intensely. "..and thanks for-"

"Geez, would you stop thanking us already?" Killua sighs in annoyance. "Like I said last night, we're friends now. You don't have to thank me."

"Yeah, sorry. It's just a little hard to get used to." You say sheepishly, scratching the side of your head.

"It's okay Onee-chan, just think about all the fun adventures we're gonna have!" Says Alluka, running over to you with the brightest smile and grabbing both of your hands. You smile back at her and visibly relaxed, letting the tension slip away from your shoulders.

Smiling contentedly, Killua decided to let you play with Alluka for a while. Stepping out, he started making sure everything was ready for the next trip.

_ _ _

After spending half an hour with Alluka, you start to wonder how Killua was doing. You leave the room and started looking for him. In the next room, you see him texting on his phone next to what seems to be his and Alluka's bags.

You approach him from behind reluctantly. He seemed to notice your presence as he turned his head to look at you.

"Hey, you ready to go?" He asked.

"Yeah, I was just talking with Alluka," you say. You point to his phone "What are you doing?"

"Oh, I was just emailing my friend, Gon," he says.

You tilt your head curiously, "Gon? Who's that?" 

He smiles fondly, a faraway look in his eyes. "Gon's my first friend. I met him 2 years ago when I took the Hunter exam."

"Oh, I see. What's he like? And what's a hunter exam?" You ask eagerly.

He sighs exasperatedly. "Well, it's a long story, seriously."

"It's fine, I'm a good listener."

You listen intently as he talked about his adventures with this Gon person. Every once in a while, you would laugh at how humorously reckless he was, or listen quietly whenever he described a serious moment.

A little while later, you get ready to leave with Killua and Alluka. You look back one last time at the place you've been living for most of your life. You look at the little villages surrounding the dense, green forest you lived in. In the distance, you make out the little house you made for yourself in the forest, now emptied and abandoned. A small breeze swayed your hair as if saying goodbye. Slowly, you turned back and left, with Killua right in front of you, firmly holding Alluka's hand.

'Is this really okay? Can I really be friends with them?'

_ _ _ 

As soon as you reached the city, your eyes widened as your jaw dropped in awe. "Woah... I've never seen a city before." You say, looking at the buildings and lights. "It's like a forest, but it's made of buildings instead of trees!" you giggle to yourself. 

"Right? It's pretty overwhelming considering you've been living in the forest." Killua chuckles at your awe. You notice how awestruck you were and quickly composed yourself. "Yeah, where to?"

"We're making our way to the airport, let's go," he beckons you over. You follow them from behind, suddenly wary about your distance from them and making sure you weren't too close to them.

'It's not my place to intrude after all...'

Throughout the whole airship ride, you can't help but remain quiet as you stared at the scenery from the window, not attempting to make any sort of conversation. Your cheerful energy from yesterday disappeared completely, and you were tense without knowing. 

Killua noticed your sudden distant nature, wondering about what happened to the bright girl who eagerly showed them around yesterday, yet he dismissed it as nerves or the like.

Even after you landed and took your first breath of fresh air away from home, you kept a reasonable distance from them, only talking when absolutely necessary. 

"Oi (Y/N), you don't have to stand so far away from us. Come closer." Killua called out to you. You were following them from behind as you made your way to the place you were staying at.

"Don't worry about it, I'm right behind you guys." You reassure them.

Killua starts getting worried, though he tries not to show it. "Okay," he simply replies, choosing to not push the matter further.

After settling down and unpacking at the hotel, you follow them around the different tourist spots, still keeping your distance from them. 

While exploring the waterfalls, Alluka points to the huge thicket of trees surrounding it. "Hey, Onii-chan, I wanna go over there!" 

"No, Alluka. You might lose your way there and seriously hurt yourself." Killua says sternly, as he tightened his grip on her hand to make sure she doesn't run there by herself.

"Aww, ok..." says Alluka sadly, slumping her shoulders.

You chuckle to yourself as you watch the siblings. 'It's good enough just watching them from behind', you thought.

At the end of the day, as the 3 of you were walking back. Killua carefully approaches you. "(Y/N)," he starts. "You've been awfully quiet lately. Is everything ok?" he asks.

Not sure what to say, you simply stare up at the taller male

"I-it's just that even Alluka notices and she's been worried, that's all," he says, looking away. You look at Alluka and notice her looking worriedly at you.

"I-it's fine, really!" you insist, waving your hands frantically in an attempt to reassure them.

Even after reassuring them, Killua still wasn't convinced, but he shrugged and decided to ask again another time. He and Alluka proceeded walking, with you following. You sighed in relief.

Night falls, and you return to the hotel with them. The three of you shared a room since it was big enough. Alluka was pretty tired and sleepy after the whole trip, so Killua had urged her to sleep.

You were sitting on the couch by yourself. Killua saw this and approached you, plopping down right beside you.

You jump in surprise, "Woah, Killua. Sorry, I didn't hear you approaching." You say.

He calmly rests his chin in his hand as he stared right at you. "Don't worry about it. I'm in the habit of moving without a sound." He pauses, looking intensely at you. 

"So, what's wrong, really?"