[52] Fear

Alluka kept struggling, trying to free herself from Illumi's grip. 

"If you don't stop, I'll have to hold you by your neck. We can't have you choking and dying on us, can we?" The way Illumi looked at Alluka was like that of an object. 

Alluka immediately stopped struggling as she looked at Illumi with absolute fear in her eyes. 

'Impossible... Why is he here? How did he get his hands on Alluka?!' Killua gritted his teeth, clenching his fists so hard that his nails were digging into his palm. A bead of cold sweat rolled down his forehead as he started to conjure up a plan to get out. 

"Kil, isn't it time you stop this charade?" Illumi said, looking down at Killua with those black hole eyes. "I know what's best for you and the Zoldyck family, so let's go home. I'll even let you hold Alluka on the way back." 

Killua looked at Alluka in the eye, seeing the fear in them. "Let her go, Aniki." His glare towards Illumi was sharp and ice-cold, even though he himself was shaken with the same fear.  

"I can't let that happen," Illumi replies. "How about this, Kil? If you come back with me to Kukuroo Mountain, I'll let Alluka stay by your side for as long as you want!"

"...You think I'm an idiot, Illumi?" Killua took in a sharp inhale, trying to control himself. "Everyone else doesn't think of her as a member of the family, so what's the point of bringing her there, huh?!" 

Illumi's nonchalant tone dropped. "Know your place, Killua."

Another cold bead of sweat rolled down Killua's forehead as Illumi's sinister Nen blanketed him even more. As the pressure of his Nen surrounded Killua, an irrational sense of fear and dread started welling up inside him. It was as if there was a needle in his head all over again. 'I need to stop him,' he kept thinking to himself. 'I can't let him control me anymore!' 

"...No." Killua's voice was shaky. "I'm not going back there, and I'm not letting you take Alluka!"

In an instant, Killua disappeared from Illumi's line of sight. The next thing Illumi knew, he felt a sharp sting across his face, and his body was staggering to the side. On instinct, Illumi loosened his grip on Alluka, allowing her to get away from him as fast as she could. 

"Onii-chan!" 

"I'm here!" Killua grabs Alluka, carrying her and running away as fast as he could.

Illumi stood there, stroking his bruised cheek. He tasted some blood from the inside of his mouth, which he immediately spat out. "Kil... to think that you would raise a hand against me, your brother..." Bloodlust and anger started to ooze out of him. Even his eyes suggested the tiniest bit of wrath. "Looks like I'll have to punish you a little bit."

______________

Killua stared at his hand, a look of apathy on his face. His veins bulged against the back of his hand, his fingernails were sharp claws that glimmered against the light, and they were stained with the blood of his most recent victim.

"You seem to be getting the hang of it, Kil." Illumi's voice could be heard from behind him. 

Killua turned his head to see his brother leaning against a wall. His arms were crossed and his eyes were closed in the most nonchalant manner.

A dangerous smirk made its way to Killua's face. "I guess so," he says, returning his hand to normal and shoving it inside his pocket.  

Illumi approached Killua, stopping right in front of him. "That's good! I guess I won't have to watch you anymore." He was happy, even though he had the same deadpanned face and tone of voice.

Killua merely scoffed and looked away. What difference does it make when he still has to kill thousands more?

"Just remember, Kil–" Illumi crouched down to Killua's eye level. "When you come face-to-face with an opponent stronger than you, run away. Never fight unless victory is guaranteed." Illumi proceeded to pat Killua's head. "Don't forget, Kil. You're the next Zoldyck heir after all." 

_______________

Killua thought that removing Illumi's needle allowed him to fight anyone regardless of their strength. The nagging feeling in his heart and the irrational fear went away. He finally had the capacity to protect those close to him. 

If that was the case, then why did he have that urge to run away once again? 

"Onii-chan...? Where is Onee-chan?" Alluka whispered, traces of fear still lingering in her voice. 

They were hiding behind some tall bushes, using Zetsu to ensure that Illumi won't find them so easily. 

"I... don't know, Alluka," Killua replies. He looked around the area to make sure they weren't found out. He exhales slowly, shakily. His body trembled slightly from what he just did. After all, he's never hit Illumi before. 

He finally turns to Alluka, putting on a calm face to reassure her. "Listen, Alluka," he whispers. "We need to get out of here as soon as possible. Illumi is no match for us right now." 

Alluka tilts her head. "How about Onee-chan?" 

"We–" Killua pauses, worrying about how you're doing right now. "We'll figure it out. For now, we just need to get away."

"But don't we need to fight Illumi first? He'll just keep chasing us if we don't."

Killua's eyes widen in realization. 'And if he manages to find (Y/N)–'  

Suddenly, he felt Illumi's sinister aura again. He tensed up, feeling the bloodlust oozing from him. 

Even Alluka started to tremble in fear, as she looked at Killua for reassurance. Even she can tell that Illumi stopped holding back his power. 

'I can't afford to be this pathetic.' Killua thought, patting Alluka on the head. 'I have to face him if I want to protect Alluka and (Y/N).' 

"I'm going to confront him, Alluka." Killua ignores his instincts and stands up. "Whatever you do, don't deactivate your Zetsu, okay?" 

Alluka's eyes widened as she urgently grabbed onto Killua's sleeve. "Onii-chan...!"

"It's okay, Alluka." Killua gives her a reassuring smile. "I'll make sure he won't even lay a finger on you," he says, before stepping out and deactivating his own Zetsu.

Alluka sat there, hidden away, as tears started to well up and fog her vision. 'But why... Why are you going out there all by yourself, Onii-chan?'