Chapter 29

Warnings: Sad stuff again, I am really really sorry.

Y/n's POV - At the hospital

It was about 2am when I awoke. I'd gotten around 3 hours sleep, which wasn't great honestly, but I decided to get up anyway. My eyes were still a little puffy and my nose was slightly blocked, sighing, I threw on Nat's jacket to keep me warm and put on some trainers with the laces still undone. Looking back I saw that Steve was still asleep, and I smiled softly knowing that sleep was providing him some relief.

Stepping out of the room I, pulling my hood up, walked down the corridor, opposite to Nat's room. I came to some more waiting rooms and another hospital ward, this one was full of old people. I frowned slightly at the dark room before moving on. Before long I had made my way outside of the hospital.

The parking lot lay before me and I sat on an old fence looking away from the cars and towards the hospital. Sitting there I thought about everything and nothing. What happened if Nat made it? What happened if she didn't? What happened if she did make it, but it took a year for her to wake up? Would I do missions, would I feel happy again, would I find someone new?

As all these thoughts whirled around in my brain, I became quite oblivious to the world around me, that is, until someone sat next to me. Turning my head slightly I caught sight of the unexpected visitor and tried to move away.

"Not so fast Y/n." Fury called after me.

Slumping my shoulders I turned around and looked at him, "What are you doing here Sir?

"Checking in on you." He raised his one eyebrow.

"Well as you can see, I am fine." I told him defensively.

"Yeah sure, we both know that is a lie." He got off of the fence and walked towards me. "You and Rogers have the next 2 weeks off of work, if Nat wakes up before then then you, Y/n, have as long as you need to help her recover. If she doesn't wake up in the next two weeks, you go back to work but can still visit her before and after hours if you wish and I will provide you transport." He paused and looked at me. "How does that sound?"

"Like I haven't got a choice." I retorted.

"That is probably correct, but I thought I would just let you know." He smiled slightly.

"Thank you, Fury, I know I haven't been easy recently." I apologised gruffly.

"You need to work on sounding sincere, but apology accepted Agent, now go and get some sleep. The team will visit tomorrow." Fury bid me goodnight and watched as I walked back inside.

***

Y/n's POV - at the hospital

I made my way back inside the dark and nearly silent hospital. Walking up the stairs I decided to go and visit Nat. It was stupid really, she was in a coma; but I thought that maybe, just maybe, something would be different.

Pushing open the door at the top of the stairs I walked down another few corridors, making a few wrong turns, until I arrived in front of Nat's door. The S.H.I.E.L.D agents, who by now knew who I was, stepped aside and walked a few paces away, allowing me some semblance of privacy, so I could talk to Nat in peace.

The heavy metal door creaked slightly as I walked in, and shut with a soft thud. I sat in the plastic chair, which hadn't moved since Steve had put it there, and took Nat's soft hand in my own. The monitors, which I had now learned to understand, showed no change. Which meant, at least, she wasn't getting worse. My gaze flickered over her features. In a coma she looked more relaxed and nearly at peace.