Chapter 31

Nat's POV

Something was different this time that I opened my eyes. Maybe the room was a little brighter?

No, that wasn't it.

Was there was a new plant there?

Nope, not that either.

Then the realisation hit me like a ton of bricks. I could see. I was seeing my hospital room for the first time...ever. I was awake? Or was this just another dream? Sent by the powers that be to trick me.

I looked to the side, without moving my head, and saw the IV fluids attached to my arm and the cable that ran to the machines surrounding me. Looking to the other side, I saw a small bedside table, covered in cards and small gifts. Ranging from 'Get better soon!' which looked like Peters handwriting, to 'Get your ass out of bed Romanoff.' Probably from Clint. I laughed silently to myself and then looked down at the rest of my body. 

My one leg was casted and raised slightly, my ribs had a cast over them as well as my arm. My head pounded loudly and I could feel a bruise pulsing on my face. I didn't feel any pain in my hip which was good but then again, I didn't really feel anything at all. 

After blinking a few times from the bright hospital lights, I looked down again at my arms and noticed a small hand intertwined with mine. On the other end of that hand was Y/n. Fast asleep and slouching in a chair.

She held my hand tightly as she breathed deeply in and out. I would have woken her up, but I knew she hadn't been sleeping lately and I didn't want to deprive her of that. Instead I took the time to recollect my memories and set about trying to move each of my limbs or wiggle my toes.

Once satisfied that I could do this, I lay my head back down on the pillow and admired Y/n.

*** 

Maybe half an hour had passed since I had woken up and since then I had read all of my cards, appreciated the gifts and toys and eaten half of a sandwich that was on my table. I was beginning to feel sleepy again, which was surprising considering I had been asleep for a long while already. As I yawned, Y/n stirred slightly and I stilled, hoping to keep her asleep.

It didn't work however as she untangled her hand from mine and ran her hands over her face, eyes still closed. "Fuck sake." She mumbled tiredly.

I smirked, "That's not how most people say hello."

Y/n shot out of her chair and pointed a gun at my head, holding it there for a good 5 seconds as she took me in.

"Nat?" Her voice cracked.

"The one and only, love." I replied.

She put her gun down and moved closer to me, walking as though in a dream. "Is this real?" She murmured.

"I hope so." I joked. "Yes, it's real babe."

"How long have you been awake?" She asked me, holding my hand again.

"Half hour maybe?" I told her gently.

"Why didn't you wake me?"

"I knew you needed the sleep, besides you're cute when you are asleep."

Y/n blushed slightly and smiled. 

"I still think I am dreaming." She admitted.