45

• Charlie •

Chase led us to a social area where some other seniors and his friends were. I think they must have also a free period.

Chase walked over to a table at the back where some of his friends and Jake were sat. Jake saw us enter and smiled at us before we went and sat with him.

"If it isn't my favourite twins." Jake smiled as I sat sat down besides him, Charlie sitting down on my other side and Chase sat across from us, next to his friends.

"We're the only twins apart from you and Chase." Charlie stated.

Jake shrugged. "Whatever. What you two doing here?"

I glanced at Khloe. I was here because I didn't want to leave her alone. I wanted to keep an eye on her, but I was pretty sure she didn't know this.

Khloe shrugged. "Studying chemistry."

I nodded. "Yup."

"You got your notes?" Chase asked us.

Khloe and I nodded and pulled out a notebook.

Khloe flicked through some of the pages of her notebook, looking through the notes, not paying attention to me or Chase. I was looking right at Chase as he was watching Khloe go through her book. His eyes, however, weren't looking down at her notes like she was.  Chase was analysing Khloe's face in a way I'd never seen him do before. His eyes searched her tired features like they'd provide him with an answer for something. It was like he was looking for something. It made me wonder whether he felt there was something she was not telling us, something that I was sensing too.

"I got up to here." Khloe said.

Chase nodded and his eyes snapped away from her and looked down at the notes.

"I don't get this bit." She said, her voice was tired like speaking was draining her.

Chase furrowed his eyebrows and picked up the notebook, looking at the page she was talking about. "That's because it's wrong." He said.

Khloe furrowed her eyebrows, confused. It pissed me off. She had more important things to worry about than some stupid Chem test. I didn't want her worrying about this. It didn't mean anything. I just wish one of our brothers would tell her that honestly.

I glanced at Jake, who seemed to be looking at me. He furrowed his eyebrows, confused. I could feel my own eyebrows were drawn together, and the corners of my lips were tilted downwards, telling me I probably looked annoyed.

I shrugged and looked away from him. Of course I wasn't all right. I didn't know what was going on in Khloe's head right now and it was driving me insane. I'd never felt like this before. I usually could read Khloe, sense what's going on with her, but this was different. She felt so faraway from me even though she was sat besides me and I couldn't stand it.

"You get it now?" Chase said to her and she nodded.

"Yeah, thanks." She said and he gave her a small smile in response  before glancing at me. For a moment, I caught him look at me in the same way he'd just looked at Khloe. It was subtle, but it was there, he was analysing me too.