*Chapter Fifty Eight* {The End of the Affair}

It wasn't until well into the night that they arrived at their destination. They had driven for a long time, and Jeremy was half asleep when they arrived. However, he quickly woke up when they all began to climb out of the car.

"Welcome back to Chicago, Stefan," Klaus states leading the small group toward the door. Since the hybrids had failed, Klaus had been more secretive with his plans. Whether that was because of some form of mistrust or simply a way to avoid the disappointment of his failure was a mystery to Alvina.

Klaus pulls the large wooden door out of the way, allowing them to see the large city. Alvina smiles as she gazes upon the lights shining from the tall skyscrapers. She would always be more of a nature girl but even could appreciate the beauty in front of her.

"What are we doing here?" Stefan asks the question running through their minds.

"I know how much you loved it here," Klaus grins with a hint of mystery. "Bringing back memories of the good old ripper days?"

"Blacked out most of them. A lot of blood, a lot of partying. The details are all a blur," Stefan says in a bored tone. Jeremy cringes a bit at the image of so much blood. He was slowly getting used to it, but it still made his stomach churn. 

"Well, that is a crying shame. The details are what make it a legend. Word was the ripper of Monterrey got lonely, so he escaped the city for comfort. It was Prohibition. Everything was off-limits then, which made everything so much fun," Klaus raconteurs. "Chicago was magical."

"Yeah, well, I'll take your word for it. Like I said, I don't remember most of it," Stefan tells him.

"Going to get down to business, then?" Klaus murmurs, closing the door.

"Why am I still with you? We had our fun; your hybrids failed. I mean, don't you want to move on?" Stefan asks, his arms crossed over his chest.

"We're going to see my favorite witch. If anyone can help us with our hybrid problem, it's her," Klaus states making his way back to the car. 

Jeremy nibbles on the inside of his lip anxiously. Enzo covers Jeremy's hand with his own, trying to convey some comfort. Jeremy sighs silently and reenters the car.

"Can your favorite witch wait until the morning?" Alvina asks. "We've been in this car for days,"

"Yes, sweetheart, she can wait till morning," Klaus nods, directing the car towards a very fancy hotel. Alvina smiles excitedly. As usual, the four mates get a room together, allowing Stefan a room to himself.

Jeremy instantly claims the middle of the bed. Despite the anxiousness floating around his mind, he falls asleep. Alvina steals the bathroom needing a moment to herself and away from the boys.

"Perfect," Alvina whispers, falling in love with the bathtub in front of her. Alvina pulls her clothes off and settles into the warm water. As her muscle begin to relax, her mind starts to run wild.

The more she thinks about it, the more she is convinced that the reason Klaus has failed to make hybrids is that Elena is alive. Tomorrow they're seeing a witch that might be able to tell him that exact thing. Alvina didn't know much about Klaus despite being with him nonstop for months, but she did know he would not react kindly to the news.

She felt torn between giving this information to Klaus herself and continuing to keep it a secret in hopes of keeping Elena from certain death. Again, she finds herself wishing Elena was anybody else's sister instead of Jeremy's. She felt as if she was at a crossroads where her only two options were to betray Klaus's trust or Jeremy's. She hated to think it, but until she and Klaus completed the bond, Jeremy would always take precedence. Nonetheless, it didn't make the decision any easier.