*Chapter Forty One*

*I haven't explained it yet but the mental conversation that mates can have with each other can either be a party line or a private line. Example: Alvina, Enzo and Jeremy can all speak to each other at the same time through the connection. Then, Enzo and Alvina can have a private conversation and block out Jeremy. Hope that makes sense! Don't forget mental conversations are bolded.*

"Jeremy, there you are," John Gilbert says, stepping in front of his nephew

"Jeremy, there you are," John Gilbert says, stepping in front of his nephew. His attention deviates for a moment to look at Alvina and Enzo, both stand at the sides of Jeremy and neither seemed particularly happy with his appearance. Enzo's never met John before but from what he's heard, John should feel lucky he isn't bleeding all over the grass at their feet.

"Looks like I slept through the homecoming," Jeremy sasses. 

"Well, not like you slept in your own bed to attend homecoming," John shoots back. "Doesn't matter, you didn't miss much," He says before either of Jeremy's mates could comment. "Let's say that no one's happy to see me would be an understatement,"

"I wonder why," Alvina tilts her head. "Because you seem like you're just a peach to be around," John stares at her while Alvina smirks practically baiting him. Jeremy wraps an arm around her waist and tucks her into his side. Alvina spreads her hand across his chest, nuzzling her head into his neck. John sighs pressing his lips together.

"Look, things are different now," Jeremy says, his hand slipping under Alvina's shirt just enough to rest against the skin of her waist. Alvina's condescending smirk to John turns more genuine  as Jeremy successfully begins to calm her down. Enzo gives them a side glance with a casual smirk. However, anyone could see the heart's dancing around the vampire's eyes. "You can't come around and start up with all this anti-vampire stuff,"

"I have no intention of doing that," John promises. Enzo hums bringing the older mans attention to him. They stare at each other for a moment before John looks back to his nephew. "How's that ring been treating you?"

"Look, if this is what you came for, just take it and go," Jeremy says, keeping his hold on Alvina but taking the ring off. John shakes his head.

"What kind of man would I be if I took that from you?" John asks.

"A dead one," Enzo comments. John's eyes look back to him. Enzo arches an eyebrow.

"How about you leave Thing One and Thing Two and grab some lunch with me?" John suggested.

"Excuse me?" Alvina growls, moving from Jeremy. "Word of advice, be careful who you anger in this town," Alvina says stepping closer. "Not all of us care about the risks," She says, knowing he would understand. She knew for a fact that if John continued to push, either herself or Enzo would get rid of him. Neither cared about the dangers of the council. Both have encountered enemies far more dangerous than a group of mediocre humans.

"I think I'll pass," Jeremy says wrapping his arm around her waist. Alvina steps back against his chest. Jeremy leans over her shoulder and kisses her cheek. Alvina smiles turning her face to his. "I love you," He whispers.