60

Harry 6

Aspen 14

"Angel, I'm coming in," Aspen whispers from the other side of the door. Slipping in my room she runs over quickly. Her blonde hair in braids blows back from her speed.

She's wearing purple pyjamas. She likes the colour purple.

Climbing under the covers with me on the bed she sinks into my blue pillow and gives me a small hug with a kiss on my cheek.

"Aspennn." I giggle pushing her away by the shoulders and wiping her wet kiss from my cheeks. "Ew." I say and she rolls her eyes. I sit next to her looking at a small green book on her lap.

"Dont ew me. I bring gifts!" 

"What book did you bring today?" 

She always reads to me before I go to sleep. I don't know how to read so she's been teaching me.

I wanna be just like her, she's so cool.

"Tomorrow's Christmas so I brought the Grinch." Looking down to the cover a scary green creature who looks really mad paints on the cover and I look to Aspen quickly in alert.

"I don't like scary books." My voice almost cries. My hands cover my eyes right away. 

"Angel, it's not scary I promise. Don't always judge a book by its cover. Sometimes those of us who look angry and sad are really the nicest people. Hidden behind a cold world that never gave them a chance to be who they are." 

Her hands go to my eyes, slowly ripping them away as she laughs. 

"Can I read now?" 

"Yup." I nod, placing my hands in my lap. 

Opening the first page it's a picture book and the same creature rests against a cave and I cover my hands with my eyes again. 

"Oh, stop it, I told you it wasn't scary." She removes my hands from my eyes again and begins to read.

"The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season! Now please don't ask why. Nobody quite knows the reason..."

I guess the grinch was cute... Kinda. 

She flips each page and helps me sound out each word. "Now what does this say." I stare at the word in concentration and my tongue sticks out just a little.

"P-" I pop the p continuing, "pop." I look to Aspen who smiles a large nod.

"Now this one!" 

"C- orn" I tap my hand on my chin sounding each word. "Popcorn?"

Aspen smiles widely and places her palm in the air urging me in a high five. "You're so smart. See! Don't listen to what anyone says." 

I smile up at her. 

She's my only friend. 

Continuing to read, I get lost in the drawings. Her voice acts out all of the different characters and I laugh at her funny faces. 

My side starts to hurt and I press my hands to my mouth. We have to be quiet so we dont wake anyone up. 

"Look here." She slaps my arm in excitement. "This is the best part." looking down to the page I watch as the grinch sits at a dining room table cutting a piece of meat.

"You see, everyone thought he was so scary but he brought everyone together. Nobody ever gave him the chance so he isolated himself." Her eyes stare into mine. "Nobody likes to be alone. If you ever see someone who's alone help them. Be their friend because the world has probably painted them a certain way as well." 

Tapping on the picture she smiles.

"When he finally stepped out of the cave the world gave him another chance. The people saw just how nice he was and that their assumptions were wrong. After believing nobody liked him they let him carve the ham. Isn't that so wonderful? Taking chances leads to amazing things." She turns to look at me as I stare into her green eyes.

"I'm scared to take chances," I whisper and she shakes her head. 

"One day you'll find your voice and it won't be so scary. It's in there." 

"I'll try."

"Good." She gets closer to me in a whisper. "And what I said about being people's friends... The world needs more people to light up someone's darkness."

My eyes listen up. 

I want that for myself. 

I look down at my hands as she closes the book to put on my nightstand. 

"Angel, are you going to go to sleep now?" 

I scrunch my eyes to her, In wonder.

What's an Angel?

She always calls me that but it's only a couple of times throughout the day. When she says it I feel dumb for being confused.

"Aspen?" I scrunch my eyes and she sits next to my crossed legs on the bed.

"Yes?" She giggles and I brush my fingertips over another shyly.

"Why do you call me that? Angel."

She laughs. "You're my angel because you being you makes me smile. Angels are soft, kind, beautiful on the inside out, and always there for the person they are protecting. Some say angels are the one presence that saves another."

I listen to every word she says in curiosity. She thinks of me this way? 

Smiling, she parts her rosy lips. "I call you angel because I love you."

I scrunch my eyes, never hearing that word before. I don't understand. "What's love?"

This causes Aspen to laugh and she rests against the headboard of my bed.

"Love means that you would do anything for the other person. You'd burn down cities for their happiness. Do anything for them." She points, "You're only my brother but when you find someone special your heart will clench in your body and you'll feel strangled by that person's presence, breathless in the best way possible." She swoons as she acts it out. "They take over your mind and every thought. The one person you see yourself with till the end of time." 

She explains before growing quiet and leaning forward. 

"They're the reason your hearts beating."