| F I F T Y - E I G H T |

((Averys outfit ^^))

Avery's POV:

It's the quiet muttering and the constant beeping of the machine beside me that stirs me awake. Weakly, I try to sit up from the uncomfortable position and wince as my neck aches. I open my eyes rubbing them groggily and look around the room.

"Hello Avery, how are you feeling? I hope that neck brace isn't giving you too much trouble?" The voice of the female doctor comes from the right side of the hospital bed I'm laid in but I can't look at her. 

Registering her words its then I realize I cant move my head to look to the side. Bringing a hand up to my neck I realize that, as she said, I had a neck brace on. I open my mouth to speak but no words come out. 

"Are you alright? How are you feeling?" This time its Wills voice I hear beside me but I'm unable to look at him or respond so I resort to giving him a thumbs up.

Sheila comes in and the next few minutes are spent with me trying o reassure them both that I was doing fine. 

"Do you remember what happened?" The doctor asks.

I give another thumbs up and she nods writing down something in a notepad. 

Of course I remembered. John was still the same although he was able to suppress his anger I guess there was only so much he could take and I pushed his buttons so there was really no one to blame other than myself. They said not to provoke any of the inmates yet there I was provoking him as soon as I stepped foot into the door. 

The doctor leaves saying that she was going to give us some privacy while she went to fill out some things so for the next few minutes we would have some privacy. I open my mouth to speak but remember I cant so I close it again. Will notices the action though and hands me my phone. Opening notes I type out what I wanted to say. 

Are we still in England?

I show him the screen and he nods. "Yup we are. We have to stay for a couple more hours before we can go back home just so they can make sure that you're alright."

What happened at the prison after the... Incident?

"It took three guards to pull him off you Avery... Any longer you would have.. You could have.." Sheila is unable to finish as she bursts into tears right there and I'm stunned. 

I stare at her with wide eyes. Was it really that bad if what she had implied happened? Will moves to hug his mother and I swear I saw some tears well up in his eyes. Did I really matter that much to them? 

"John got a few more years added to his sentence so at least there's that." Will says.

I don't reply unsure of what to do or type but luckily the doctor comes back in saying that I was able to leave in another two hours after having a few more check ups done. So that meant I could finally go back to Carolina and forget about this.

I was an idiot to think that John would've changed for the better. I should've listened to Camryn and never should've come. Why my mother decided to marry someone like him would forever amaze me. It was crazy that she was able to stick it out with him for so many years. But at least she managed to escape his grasp, couldn't say the same for me though. 

"Are you feeling hurt?" I'm broken from my reverie by the doctor ad I look up at her and touching my face I feel my cheeks fresh with warm tears. 

I give her a thumbs up and she readjusts my brace thinking that its because of that but little does she know it really isn't. Its because of something else completely. Will sits on the bed next to me and holds me while I cry silently.