SPECIAL CHAPTER

"KUYA Wency, look at this. I made this for ate Liza. Isn't it cute?"

Wency looked down at his nine-year-old cousin. She was holding a DIY pink bracelette made with a pink yarn and different types of colorful beads. Her green eyes are shining with delight and her cheecks are flushed, showing her excitement.

He is just a year older than her and they are both in the fourth grade. Bunsong kapatid siya ni Liza na anak nina Gabriel at Elyssa, samantalang si Crystal naman ang bunso ring anak nina Alpha Lawrence at Luna Cyan.

Naglalakad sila papunta sa cafeteria para bumili ng snacks dahil katatapos lamang ng klase nila at naghihintay na lamang ng sundo.

"Yep. It looks great!"

"But do you think she will like it?"

Wency grinned. "Of course she will! She loves those kind of stuff. I always saw her owning something pink. As long as it is pink, she'll definitely love it."

Crystal giggled because of that. She bounces on her toes, making her pigtails sway with her moves. "She really loves pink! I also noticed that. Kaya ito ang ginamit kong materials, e!"

She suddenly stopped when she caught sight of a young teenage red-haired girl sitting alone on a bench near the playground. Tinitigan niya ang pamilyar na bulto ng babae hanggang sa makilala ito.

"Kuya Wency," tawag niya sa pinsan.

"Hmm?"

"Can you go to the cafeteria first? May babalikan lang ako sa classroom."

"Are you sure? Kaya mo mag-isa?"

Sunod-sunod na tango ang isinagot ni Crystal. "I'll be right behind you," she assured him.

Pumayag din si Wency at nauna na ngang umalis. Crystal waited until he was out of sight before she strode towards the lonely-looking red-haired girl.

"Hi!"

Napatalon sa gulat mula sa kinauupuan ang babae nang marinig ang malakas na boses niya. Pero mas bumakas ang pagkabigla sa mukha nito nang makita kung sino siya.

"Please don't go!" Pigil ni Crystal nang tangkaing umalis ng babae. Hinabol pa niya ito at lumapit dito.

The red-head looked down at her in alarm.

"Why do you always leave whenever you see me? Are you avoiding me? Did I do something wrong to make you upset with me?" Crystal asked the girl wearing an innocent expression on her face.

Umiling ang babae bilang sagot.

Crystal felt disappointed when the girl flinched when she tried to touch her hand. Binawi na lamang niya ang kamay nang dahil doon at dismayadong pinagmasdan ito.

"Will you please sit down again?"

Saglit itong nag-isip bago halatang napipilitang tumango at naupo muli sa dulo ng bench. Naupo rin sa tabi nito si Crystal na siyang nagliwanag ang mukha.

"Why are you avoiding me?" she asked one more time and stared at the girl's face who immediately blushed under her scrutiny.

Hindi ito sumagot.

"Can't you talk?" Inip niyang tanong. "Are you mute?"

The red-head girl cleared her throat, looking embarrased. "I'm sorry, but I don't talk to strangers."

"But, I'm just a nine-year old kid! Wasn't I supposed to be the one to say that?"

Nagkatinginan silang dalawa. Pagkuwa'y sabay na napahagikhik sa tawa.