loverboy chapter 2. || "what have I gotten myself into?"

New York City, New York. 

3 years later. 

+ + +

"Okay, I'll be here tomorrow" I smiled at the lovely lady that was behind the counter. She nodded and smiled back. I was so thrilled. Can't believe this actually happened. 

I made my way to the crystal door that was behind me, pushed the elevator button and waited until the doors opened. Crowded, that's great. The first thing that came to my mind when I felt the awkwardness between all of us was Taylor Swift's song called Ours. "Elevator buttons and morning air, stranger's silence makes me wanna take the stairs, if you were here we'd laugh about their vacant stares, but right now, my time is theirs". Something in the back of my mind reminded me of him. 

My first real love, Nathan, Nathan Sykes. It was really strange to think about him, cause I usually don't. Back at Abbeydale, where I used to live, he was kind of the heart-breaker of the town. And it was actually great, no one would ever know I liked him, because he was my bully. Yeah, right now you'd be like "bloody hell, what is wrong with this girl?" but yes, I guess my bully was secretly my prince charming. But don't worry, since I moved out of England to Miami and then here to the States I couldn't be better, I stopped thinking about him and I smiled to my new life, the new me, the one that was filled with happiness and love inside. I got over him and the thought of me liking him back at secondary school is just hilarious. 

I shook out my thoughts as I searched for the keys to open the main entrance of the building where I lived in, 17th Ave. with 23rd Street, Manhattan, or New York City, just call it what you want. 

- Good morning Ashley. - said old Lady Josephine with a smile across her face.

- Hey Lady J, good morning to you too! - I said whilst I checked my mailbox, returning the smile to her. 

- Wow, it's 10am and you're already back! What's up with you early bird? - She asked me.

- well, remember the job I told you about the other day at tea time? - I said, - I got it! I got signed at Wilhelmina Models! I still can't believe it! - 

- congrats sweetie! who wouldn't want a beautiful british lady like you in their management? - she said in a joke tone.

 I winked at her - hey Lady J, I love spending time with you but I'm starving, would you mind if I go upstairs to have breakfast? - I asked her.

- go ahead ma'am. - she said with a little gesture in her hands indicating me to "go ahead". 

- thanks. - I said 

I walked upstairs to the second floor, and took out the keys that led to my rented apartment while I live here in NYC. I went straight to the kitchen and put the kettle on, I was in the mood for some home made tea. 

After that, I walked back to my bedroom and stared at the wall full of photos of my friends, family and the places I've been to. I shut the door and took my high heels off, that were killing me by the way, and stared blank at the calendar that was hanging from behind the door. I grabbed the red marker and made a huge X on August 1st, which was today. "Two more months and you'll go to university" I thought to myself, I sighed. I didn't really wanna go there, but trust me, I should. Receiving a scholarship at Harvard University is something you should be thankful for. "3 more years, 3 more years" I said, reminding myself that I was now turning into a complete adult. Being a model in NYC and a student in Boston at the same time wasn't going to be something easy, but eventually I'll find my way through it, I always do. 

I heard the kettle coming to its boiling point, which made me snap away from my thoughts. I made my way to the kitchen, grabbed my mug that said "I

I walked to the balcony and stared at the trees, I was mentally preparing myself for the day ahead of me, it was going to be my first photoshoot since I got signed and wow that's a big deal. I took a sip of tea followed by a bite of bread. The breeze blowing in my hair, I felt calm.

I felt like I wanted to go out and maybe go shopping so I just went back to my bedroom, put on some comfortable shoes, put my hair into a messy bun and took a glimpse of myself in the mirror. "ugh" I said as I  watched my reflection.

I walked down the stairs and put my iPod on shuffle, the first song that came on was "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon, interesting track. I jammed to it until I was in Times Square already. I entered to Forever 21, American Eagle Outfitters and H&M, three of my favorite shops to buy.  I bought some nice tank tops, a cute pair of pants, t-shirts and a dress. I was pretty tired by now. I decided to enter to Starbucks just to buy a refresher, I really loved them. 

- Good evening and welcome to Starbucks, what would you like to order? - said a girl behind the cashier counter, with one of those fake smiles. 

- hey, umm, I would like a Very Berry Hibiscus refresher please? - I said and returned the smile. 

- ok, can I have your name so we'll call you when it's ready? - she asked. 

- Ashley - the girl smiled and nodded. I handed her the money and walked away. 

I slipped my phone out of my pants and saw I had a new mention, I unlocked it and tapped the Twitter icon. 

"@MaryHerzig901: @woahashley miss you so much roomate! see ya in 2 months! Xx"

I took my phone with both of my hands so I could reply. 

"@woahashley: @MaryHerzig901 aww miss you so much more Mary! Looking forward to see you babe xxxxx." 

I sent the message just in time cause they called my name. I made my way to the counter where I saw another girl that wasn't the one that took my order in first place, handing my drink with a warm smirk on her face. 

- thank you, let me give you guys a tip but just wait, I have to look for it, it's somewhere near he- - I couldn't finish my sentence due to the fact that my phone vibrated right in my hand, which meant someone was calling. I took a look at the screen and saw it was from the Management. - oh sorry, I need to take this one, it's from work.- I gave her a you-understand-me kind of look and smiled. 

- Mrs. Underwood? Hi, this is Stacey, Mr. Ferguson's assistant from Wilhelmina Models. - said a lady voice on the other side of the line. 

- good evening, nice to meet you. - where all the words I could imagine of to say in that moment, I turned around to leave the shop. 

- Mr. Ferguson wants- - I couldn't hear the rest of the sentence cause I stepped on someone. My phone dropped to the floor. I watched as my t-shirt was soaking wet wtih the refresher and as the other person's shirt got totally ruined by me. 

- what the hell? It was a gift and it was new! - a male voice said, just by that you could tell that he was pissed. 

I instantly grabbed some napkins.

- I'm so, so, sorry about this! and ashamed - I said whilst my cheek turned red as hell. I lit up my face to see him.

I couldn't believe what my eyes were looking at. It felt like both of our worlds connected for a long time. It was like speaking without words. 

- Na-n-nathan? - I finally managed to say. 

- Ashley?! - he said as surprised as me. 

oh boy, what have I gotten myself into?