loverboy chapter 27. || "how's my nose?"

I always had a weird fascination about hospitals, even though I have to say that I hated them in some way. Is not that something traumatizing happened to me when I was little, it's just that I think they're really... heavy places. In these four walls you practically trust your own life to someone you barely know. In these four walls your life can end with a simple cut in your skin with the blink of an eye. In these four walls there are cries and sobs, as well as screams of excitement and hugs. I guess that's why doctors chose to study medicine: the constant beep of the machines, the sound of  the operation's utensils, the siren of the ambulances, and that little blast that is produced when the paramedics open the ER's door with the patient's gurney. Everything is in constant and perfect harmony. The perfect contrast between life and death. 

The doctor guided us to Nathan's room in the hospital and left us alone when we entered because he was going to see another patient while Nathan woke up. Jay was ahead of me and since he was taller then I am, I was facing his back, so I had to brace myself in courage to take a look at Nathan again. I just hope that he was better. I will never forget the moment where his blood ran through my hands and when my heart raced when I realized that all of that was happening because of my fault. I couldn't associate that scene with the though that it belonged to him, because it was impossible that all of this was happened because of... Love? Definitely all of this occurs because of love. It's something amazing the fact that Nathan got to the point of doing all of these for me... And I treated him that way when I tried to forget him by using another person I didn't even love to get him out of my head... I never should've done it. 

I thanked that I had my sweater on, since my body temperature dropped when I saw Nathan again. Definitely he wasn't like he was before. He just had banaged in the back of his head. I was reliefed, since it wasn't the same mournful picture of the store. 

- Jay. - I said with a monotone voice whilst I sat in the chair that was besides Nathan's bed. I held my hends to the sit while I bit my lips. I was nervous. I didn't know what could happen. Even though Nathan didn't have a machine that monitors his heart -electrocardiograph, rather said- I felt the sound of the intermittent beeps in my head, and I felt that in any give moment I would hear a long and constant beep, without interruptions. And even though it's Nahan's non-existent who announces his death, I would feel that it will also determine the end of my existence. The end of my life. - do you think it's something serious? - I finished asking Jay. 

- I don't know Ashley... You were the one who saw the blow. - Jay said, staring at the ground with empty eyes. 

I remembered the moment and for a second I wished I didn't. I remembered when his skull broke the glass and how I felt that my life was ending right there. Maybe it's just a little cut, I told myself with the intention of calming down. I digged my nails in my hands until it hurt. That relaxed me a little bit. 

The doctor opened the door and told us that there was no need to operate Nathan, which made me and Jay sigh in relief. I suppose it was a busy day for the hospital, he seemed to be tired and winded. He also mentioned that one of the glasses provoked a deep cut in Nathan's head, and that the other ones that were smaller just cut a little bit, therefore they had to do an MRI to see if he could have a brain contusion due to the cut and the blow he suffered. He shot the door saying he was going to get Nathan's MRI results and that he was going to be right back. 

It was amazing that that misunderstanding could cause that problem. It made me remember that life was as fragile as... Glass. Glass, I think, and instantly I feel thousands of tiny points of pain in my skin. I took a glimpse at my arm and my attention was caught by a little spark of light that my arm somehow casted. No, it wasn't a spark, it was a reflection. I got glass all over my body from the accident too. I tried to take off my hoodie, but when I raised my arms to take it off, I felt how a piece of glass that wasn't as tiny as the other ones cut my flesh. I winced in pain and Jay saw me.