Chapter 1: Late-Night Stragglers

Shouto Todoroki was a pretty popular rising pro hero, one with a very promising future, and many eyes watching him. His success at such a young age and astonishing quirk brought him lots of attention, whether he wanted it or not.

It was also no thanks to the fact that he was the son of the current pro hero, that he was under constant watch of the media. He didn't need, didn't want so much attention, especially if it had to do with his father. After all, that man had ruined his life, kept ruining it every day.

The thing that was the worst was that nobody even knew. Nobody knew of the abuse he was subjected to as a child, that he was still constantly subjected to. Nobody except him and his father knew, and there was nothing he could do about it. He had tried to ask for help, to tell the truth of his backstory, but it was always brushed off, ignored, as if he had said nothing in the first place.

It made him bitter. What was the point to his fan base if they didn't even listen to what he had to say? They were just there to pick him apart with their eyes, feast on his every movement. It disgusted him.

Things could have possibly been a little better for him if he hadn't been part of his father's agency. Shouto had tried to join a different one, entertaining the idea of even possibly working on his own or starting his own, but it never worked out in the end.

It was as if he was doomed to be in this pit of suffering, tied to his father no matter how hard he tried to tear the rope. He could've dealt with being constantly around his father, he left him alone for the most part anyways. It was his underlings that were the problem.

They seemed to despise the fact that he was still his father's favorite, putting all the blame on him. It wasn't his fault his father was obsessed with him. He didn't want it at all. But his coworkers deemed him deserving of their abusive.

He could handle their foul words, toxic looks. He made peace with the constant disappearance of many of his things from his workplace. He ignored the notes, and letters, and threats. Even when it moved on to tripping him 'accidently', or shoves and pushes, even punches, he didn't react.

But when they started attacking him with their quirks, he couldn't stand it anymore. He defended himself, making sure that no one was badly hurt, just out of commission for the moment, to calmly take his leave. He didn't want to lose his job after all.

He didn't know about the complaints and reports on him being sent to his father behind his back though. It took three weeks of fighting off attack after attack before his father showed up. He had just taken a punch to his face and was about to retaliate when the door to the office burst open.

"SHOUTO!!!" His father appeared in front of him in mere seconds, flaming facial hair on full force, and angry look on his face. Shouto calmly took a step back, wiping at his mouth with the back of his hand "what?" The coworker that punched him flinched at the cold tone, scared of what to expect from their fiery boss.

Endeavor glared down at Shouto, paying everyone else no mind "Shouto, what in the hell do you think you're doing?!?" Shouto glared back, standing up straighter "defending myself." The coworker flinched again, shooting Shouto a death glare. Great, now they're for sure going to get fired. "Sir, Shouto-" "SILENCE!" Everyone in the room fell silent, watching the top hero in fear with bated breath.

Endeavor loomed over his son, growl in his voice "you call that defending?!? Why are you throwing everything I taught you away!!! You're a disgrace to my name!!" A side of Shouto's mouth quirks up into a sneer, but he doesn't dare answer.

He knew this would be the response once he found out. "Go on, show everyone what I taught you!" His coworker's eyes widen at Endeavors words. Their face falls slack in both shock and fear, as they turn stiffly to face Shouto. Their eyes plead him for mercy. But Shouto had no intention of fighting. He doesn't want to.