Chapter 22: Rebuilding

Kai paced in front of the door, biting on his nails the whole time. Katsuki had texted a while ago to inform him that he'd found Kess and that everything was fine now. They were supposed to arrive any minute now and Kai was ready to give them both a talking to.

Just past one in the morning, the door creaked open.

Immediately rushing forward towards them, he stopped just short at the sight.

Katsuki was back in his sweatpants and tank top, though his bottoms were covered in dust and dirt. Kess' leg was in a cast, and though the extra-large hoodie and pants covered most of it, there were scratches and bruises poking through, bandages plastered all over her skin. Her hands were both wrapped, and her hair was quite a mess.

Kai watched them for a moment in silence before his face scrunched up with relieved tears as he wrapped his arms around them "I was so worried!!!"

Katsuki patted his back while Kess chuckled awkwardly into his shirt "I told you not to worry! See? I'm fine, we're fine!!"

"The fuck you're fine!!!" Kess winced as Katsuki spun around on her "you're fucking calling this fine??? The hell were you thinking?? What if Kai never texted and I never made it??? Would things be fucking fine then??!??"

Kai raised his hands placatingly "alright, let's calm down for now. It's been a rough night for all of us, so let's just relax for now. 'Kay?"

Sending a grateful look, she hobbled around the two of them and started for the couch. With a sigh, Katsuki stepped forward and scooped her out making her let out a surprised squeak and dropped her on the couch carefully.

Silently he headed to the kitchen.

Kai stood around fumbling for a little bit before finally heading to the couches. "I'm sorry," he whispered "for not listening and texting him. But at the same time, I'm not."

She shot him a small smile "don't be. Who knows, if I'd be here if you didn't send him."

He stared at the ground as he chewed on his lip "he knows now."

She sighed, leaning back "yeah. But it was bound to happen anyways. I still haven't told him and explained everything, so,...." she sighs "I'm just hoping this will go over well."

He nodded sitting silently for a while longer before lifting himself up "I'm, um, gonna go check on him now."

She nodded at him with an encouraging smile, and he headed to the kitchen. He stood in the doorway for a moment before moving closer "you doing okay?" He got a growl back in response "peachy."

Kai sighed, stepping up to wrap his arms around him from behind, hooking his chin over his shoulder "don't be too hard on her. You know you would've done the same."

Katsuki sighs, lowering the knife in his hand "I just wish she'd be more careful, take care of herself."

Kai hummed in agreement "but she can take care of herself it seems like, can't she."

Katsuki stayed silent for a moment "did you know?" At the questioning noise he continued "you know, about,... what she's been doing."

Kai hummed, leaning his head against Katsu's "she just told me recently. But,...I've been guessing for quite a while now." At Katsuki's silence he sighed "I'm sure she has her reasons so,...just please. Go easy and try to be understanding." Half an hour later they were spread over the living room, a steaming pot of curry poured into bowls in front of them. Katsuki sighed, crossing his arms "alright, I guess I'll start since y'all already knew for longer."

He scowls at the floor as he retells "I'm the hero Ground Zero. Pretty much the only right I've been granted is keeping my identity secret so that I could have at least somewhat of a decent life."