Chapter 5: Long Awaited Reunions

Shouto couldn't breathe.

From the moment he saw him he knew who he was.

Even with the mask, sunglasses, and dyed hair, Shouto still recognized him.

Dabi pulls off his sunglasses, icy eyes scanning him over "Shouto? Who are you exactly?"

Shouto felt a sob rise up in the back of his throat at the sight of those familiar ice blue eyes.

He ripped his hat and goggles off as he felt his eyes glaze over.

His voice came out in a broken whisper "T-Touya?"

Dabi's eyes widened in realization, in recognition, as he stared at him.

And then suddenly he wasn't in one spot anymore but racing across the bar to throw himself at his little brother. Shouto lets the sob be ripped out of his throat as familiar arms are wrapped around him tightly, gripping at each other as if they'll disappear if they let go.

It had happened before after all.

"Shouto, holy shit" Dabi cried quietly into his hair, his fingers brushing through the strands feverishly, as if he couldn't believe that he was here, that he was real.

Shouto was the same, gripping on the back of his brother's hoodie, sobbing openly into his shoulder "Touya, Touya, oh my god."

They stood like that for around five minutes, not letting go of each other until the tears calmed down. Shouto pulled his face away, wiping at his face with his sleeve, the mask being thrown off a while ago so that he wouldn't hyperventilate, his other hand still clutched tightly around the hoodie fabric.

"Touya holy fuck, you're here, alive." Touya chuckled, brushing the tears off his face "yup, why wouldn't I be?"

Shouto sniffled, hiding his face with his sleeve "father said you died. I-,...I never thought I'd see you again."

He could see the frown on his brothers face, even with the mask still in place "of course he did. That fucking-,..." He sighs, rubbing at his face "I'm so sorry I just left you there. I just, couldn't, anymore. I was gonna come back for you, promise, but-"

He groans, covering his face with his hands again "I'm so sorry, I'm such a terrible big brother."

Shouto notices the huge purple scars on his brothers' hands but doesn't comment. For now.

Instead, he pulls his hands away from his face, looking up at him "hey, its fine! Honestly, we were all kinda just glad you were away from him. Even if,...through not the greatest way. And we're all,...fine. Everyone's left the house, so we don't even have to be with him anymore!"

He doesn't mention that he's forced to work for him. Dabi's eyes crinkle softly with a sigh "how is everyone? Fuyumi? Natsuo?" Shouto smiles back "Fuyumi finally moved out a while ago, a little after I did. She's living with some friends now. Natsuo was long gone as soon as he got an in to his college. Now he's out with his own apartment."

Dabi exhales in relief, glad his siblings are alive and well "how about mom? You seen her recently? I visited a few weeks ago, haven't been able to really go since."

Shouto winces "no,...the last time was about two months ago."

He stopped visiting every week once the harsher 'punishments' from his coworkers came. When there were the smaller cuts and bruises, he could brush them off as work-related (which they technically were), but once the harsher treatment came, leaving worse marks, he knew she'd figure out that something else was up.