Secrets and lessons

"You came." Noor sheepishly looked through her lashes at Arjun.

Arjun was standing before her with two glasses and a champagne bottle in his hands. He beamed at her before resting the glasses on the table. Noor stood there glued, quietly observing his movements.

"Why are you standing so far, my beautiful lady. Please join me!" Arjun elegantly pointed at the two empty chairs placed around a small round table. She moved her eyes from the table to him for a brief second before she looked away. Her skin almost crawled at his romantic gesture, nevertheless, she masked calmness and sat on the chair he pulled out for her.

Arjun poured champagne in two glasses and clapped his hands in the air, with that sweet romantic melody began to ring in her ears. "Loved it?"

Arjun never sounded so soft as he did now in this movement. She looked up again to confirm was it really her husband?

"What? why are you looking at me with those eyes?" he asked rubbing his hair

The abnormality in his aura and the softness in his voice made her suspicious of his motive. She wanted to ask him, what was he up to this time? but then she held herself back, with the fear of her messing up with his bright side, and getting an encounter of the devil inside him.

Arjun looked at her for a while, almost reading the confusion on her face. A small line of disappointment passed through his orbs which he tried to hide behind a one loop smile.

"So ? say it."

Noor glanced at her husband's anticipating eyes, she moved her eyes from corner to corner trying to figure out what was he expecting her to do. Was she forgetting something? she asked herself.

"Don't tell- ... Noor!" he whined her name, " You don't remember today's date?"

'Was there something to remember about this day?' she asked herself

"Happy Birthday.." She whispered unsurely, her eyes closed in synchronization fearing of being wrong at guessing.

The small smile that Arjun was holding for so long, began to disappear. She felt her heart accelerated and she began desperately looking for an answer anywhere in the room. Just then her eyes went to her phone screen that read 17 June. A wave of relief washed over her quickly.

She looked at Arjun, who was already watching her with narrow eyes.

"Happy Anniversary." she smiled, a very dishonest smile.

Her barely audible voice brought peace to Arjun and he relaxed a bit leaning away from the table.

He laughed, "For a minute I thought you have forgotten about today. You almost got me, Noor!"

She didn't reply, but her lie kept bleeding from her eyes which Arjun failed to notice.

Arjun leaned forward to clink the glass with hers, "For our beautiful life ahead."

"Yes"

Noor quickly slipped her other hand to her phone, turning off her phone and it kept ringing in silent mode with the name Rajveer flashing on it.

*******

Rajveer picked up his shirt from the side of the bed, while he pressed the dial button few more times. When Noor didn't answer the call, he tossed the phone on the table frustratingly.

"Why are you not receiving my call, Noor?"

He called her name with closed eyes. His hands moving to his heart as he rubs it over.