Shattered Soul

The gunshot echoed deafeningly in the constrains of the hall. The crowd paused for a second before a panic set amongst everyone and the room echoed with cries and screams. In the chaos's midst, Aditya stood lifeless, pale, staring at the woman lying on the floor soaked in her own blood. And his world shattered!

He threw his legs one before others, without consciously registering his movement. He locked his moist eyes on Anjana's face. She attempted to breathe through her mouth, with her hands clutched to her neck. He could easily read pain in her eyes. Tears of grief and helplessness cascaded down her eyes as she struggled to take another breath through her mouth. His eyes were a mere reflection of his mother. They let down the pain slip in the form of tears. As he got closer to her the chaos in the background faded away with his diminishing heartbeat.

This is not the truth! His heart whispered.

He squeezed his eyes to spill the tears and clear his vision. Anjana was still lying in her blood math. This was not his imagination or a dream, it was the truth. An Ugly Truth!

"Maaa... Ma" he exhaled as his feet refused to carry his weight on them and wobbled under him, making his movement weak. His clothes wet with sweats, witnessing the worst nightmare before his eyes.

"You are my Favourite son." Anjana smiled while cupping his face. Aditya smiled and hugged her.

"Why should I be afraid when you are with me, Aditya, my son, my strength?" Anjana's eyes sparkled with pride for Aditya.

His steps faltered. His hands and feet went cold. He kneeled down and gently picked the limp body of his mother on his lap. "Maa? Maa." he patted her cheeks to wake her up as tears of worry streamed down his cheeks. He brushed his hands on his eyes to clear his sight, but they kept coming back, blurring his vision. He desperately called out Anjana, to talk to him when Anjana didn't move a muscle. Reality drew on him and he picked her up and hugged her to his chest like his life is depended on it. He cried and screamed, desperately calling for help.

"Someone save my mother! Someone call a doctor!"

He leaned her body on his lap and brushed her temple, " I won't let you die. I am here, Maa."

"Why has the doctor still not arrived yet!!" He roared to the shameless crowd that stood there like an audience watching his despair. His eyes refused to blink as he stared at his mother's face turning pale. He checked her nerve. She had a pulse. Tears of joy and grief freely flowed through his eyes as he folded his hands to the crowd, praying them to call for a doctor.

"Is anyone Doctor here? Please save my mother."

Seeing her son begging helplessly brought tears to her eyes. All her life Anjana feared death, yet when she is dying now she felt no sorrow. She was in the arms of a person who loved her the most. She was moving to another world, but her eyes wanted to see her family once before she could say bye to the world. Why goodbyes are so difficult? Why moving away is so painful? She smiled at Aditya while she brought up her hand to touch Aditya's cheeks. Lost in grief, Aditya felt her hand move and leaned his face. She let her finger slide along his cheeks with a smile, leaving the trace of blood on his cheeks.

"Maa? Maa please don't leave me." He begged like a child, holding her hand coated in her blood. His plead reminded her of 6 years old Aditya who refused to leave her side on his first day of school. He was afraid to lose her like today. The only difference here was once she was out of his sight, he may never see her again. She wanted to speak, but the bullet that hit her neck had damaged her vocal. She opened her mouth but began coughing, oozing out blood as she did so. Aditya's eyes widened fanatically, and he looked everywhere for help. His mind has paralyzed witnessing his mother in this condition. His face cracked as more tears fell on his cheeks.