The enigma of the heart

Zoya quivered in the seat next to him, her eyes facing the windscreen as she stared vacantly into space. She was paler than usual, understandably, and every bare inch of her skin was coated in sweat.

He turned his gaze back to the road and sped up, needing this ride to be over already. He didn't want to look at Zoya again. He couldn't.

Why are her tears making me restless? he thought as he stole a glance at her through a mirror.

He hated her, but at the moment, an extraordinarily powerful urge overtook him. He had to protect her and hold her close. Touch her. Drown himself in her pain. Comfort her, Tell her she is not alone.

His heart clenched as another stock of tears spills down on her cheeks. He watched as she raised her hand and wiped the fresh tears by the back of her hand.

Why am I feeling like this? Why am I feeling so much pain? What is happening to me?

"Aditya?" she whispered in a hoarse voice.

"What?" He replied, wishing she'd stop trying to talk to him.

Her voice was creating strange havoc inside him. It was like an internal battle that his every nerve was fighting against him.

"Drop me at the brothel."

Aditya's brows furrowed. "Have you forgotten you're mine?" he paused, " for 3 days," he added, avoiding her eyes.

"I know but it's going to be a night where will you take me? I know you won't take me to your house."

"Do you want to come to my house?" He turned his neck to take a full view of her. Lines formed on his forehead, there was a strange expectation in his eyes. Whatever it was happening, he was not in control of his emotions.

"As if everything would be as I wanted it to be." She sneers

He closed his eyes in disappointment and let out a deep sigh. Her replies and dried tears were making his heart pump faster. Almost as if he was expecting a different reply from her.

"You will live with me at my farmhouse for 3 days." He replied in a monotone.

She hummed and continued looking out while he risked capturing a glance at Zoya. She wasn't looking at him, but he could still see the sorrow etched on her face.

"Are you hungry?" He asked.

She nods her head in No. " I want to sleep."

"Hmm. We will have dinner, and then I will take you to the farmhouse. Okay?" she looked at him with questions, "Why can't you take me to farmhouse directly?"

"Because there is no food available for you. I have asked Kaka to buy some groceries for a few days so from tomorrow there won't be a problem for you."

"I am okay, I am not hungry-"

"That was not a request. I think I am the one to decide what you will do. We will have food first then I will leave you at farmhouse okay?"

There was no scope for any argument. He was her owner, so she quietly surrenders to his demand and continued to stare out of her window.

"Okay?" He asked, gripping the steering wheel even tighter as he rounded a bend.

"Hmm," she murmured before dropping her gaze to her lap.

She ignored him for the rest of the ride. Her ignorance filled a bitter taste in his mouth, and his lips pressed into a grimace as he remembered what has happened in the campaign press. And then lines formed on his forehead.